Discuss Change of Career and advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

woody84

Hi all

Im new to the forum and would like some advise / encouragement.

I am currently in a supervision position that pays quite well but cannot see progression ahead of me and would like a carear change. I have learned tiling myself over the past 5 years starting splashbacks and small jobs for friend to completing a few full bathrooms for a local plumber. All jobs have left customers more than happy and im thinking of setting up my own business.

I would like the pro's to give me pionters / encouragement to give me a kick up th arse really.

i have one question regarding adhesives. i have used for my jobs so far an adhesive from a few local trade tile suppliers called houseplan heavy duty adhesive (ready mixed). This has been good for me and had no problems with using it on any of my jobs including shower areas. The question is...Is this known to you guys as i dont seem to see any posts about this if this is not ideal can you point me to the correct stuff and prices please.

Your help and advise will be much appreciated and i hope to hear positve / encouraging feedback

D

Deleted member 9966

hi Woody

tiling can be a very rewarding career, but it's only fair to say that it will be a long hard slog to carve a full time self employed tiling business out of the current economic climate. the general consensus of this forum is that even the most seasoned professionals have found times incredibly tough in the last 2-3 years. the best recommendations we can give you right now is to carry on with your full-time (albeit boring) job and fit your tiling in around this on a part-time basis. that way, you're getting the best of both worlds.

as for adhesive, the pro's on here use a variety of manufacturers but again, ready mixed adhesives tend to be avoided unless for jobs where it is appropriate. there are many quality brands on the market with many variants for different jobs and purposes. spend some time getting to know these variants and stick around, this is the best tiling forum on the net.

:welcome:

T

Time's Ran Out

Welcome Woody - Words of encouragement!

This IS the best occupation you could have, but to tell you the truth, I don't think I would like to be starting a new business now.
If it's not your main income, then treating it as a bit extra without all the pressures of paying tax, having the VAT man go through your accounts, waiting for customers to pay you and the like, can soon erode the pleasure and satisfaction of having completed another masterpiece.

At my age this job gets better more days than not. We have a quality of job that allows me to pick and choose and a client list that will (within reason) wait till we fit it in. But the self employed fears are still there after 38 years and we still take more work on then we can often fit in, and that can cause pressure.
An established tiler should always have work, and as GRR rightly points out, those even with 5 years experience may find that the market is slow. There are a lot of people who would like to change a career and its a big step to make that change.
But you have come to the right place as there are posts in the archives on every subject from starting up tools, marketing, vans and the correct adhesives etc.
I could be negative about unqualified people getting paid and taking work from tradesmen, but I paint and do the garden so I'am in the same boat (albeit the wife does not pay me!) but I'am a great believer in if you enjoy a job you will do it to the best of your ability and if others want to pay you for making a good job OK.

So build up a porfolio, enjoy this trade, and good luck with your choices.
John.

T

Time's Ran Out

With regard to your original question - I haven't heard of the adhesive you use - but there is a thread on adhesives and personal choice on the forum archives.
Also have a look at the training courses that are sponsors of the forum, contact them and get a prospectus of what you can learn and see if this will take you forward.
You will certainly require qualifications and health & safety certificates as well as sub contract cards if you wish to work on sites but only charm, confidence and a good portfolio if you continue in the private market.
Mapei do training courses (as do others) and the main tile distributors have technical 'bibles' for adhesives and substrates.
But at the end of the day you are right - this forum will provide you with great help when you post.

P

paul78

Iv used houseplan years ago before i knew what i was doing, used it because it was only £8-ish for 15kg from local builders merchant.

kitchen splashbacks at a push is all its good for to be honest. especially if your charging customers you want to finish the job knowing that the tiles are staying on the wall.

Plus tiles are getting bigger and heavier nowadays so youll tend to use powder addy more often.

J

jay

Think long and hard abou what you want out of lifeTiling is a great career if you put the effort into it know your adh and thier limitations substrates groutes water proofing tile trims ECT be prepared to work long and stupid hours and weekends to suit the client then there's different tiles and borders don't get me wrong it's a good trade but it goes a lot further than just sticking a few tiles up Good luck with your choice make sure you do your homework first

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gall.B

Hi Woody, its hard times out there for a lot of pros, with a long list of contacts even, would think long and hard about it.

Would prob be better doing a course or working with a pro. vmost guys who did apprenticeships or have been in the game a long time would agree thers a lot to learn and we are still learning.

Theres also start up costs Van proper tools advertising etc to consider on top of that bills to pay kids to feed. hard work m8. good luck on whatever you drecide.

Reply to Change of Career and advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Change of Career and advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.