Discuss Changing company name, opinions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

There are pros and cons. From a legal point of view my understanding is you would be within you rights to do it. Unless Facebook own the rights to the font, they certainly don't own the colour or the box. If you were in the same industry then you'd have a problem but as you are not in direct competition my understanding is that you can't be seen as trading on their name... although in a sense you are using it.

My one concern is that you are putting your eggs in a shallow basket. For instance there is a decorating firm near me that goes under the name of 'Ant & Decorators', quite clever but it says two things, one that the company is new and secondly that Ant & Dec aren't quite as big as there were 3 or 4 years ago and as such the name is losing its appeal.

Even though Facebook is huge at the moment it's not inconceivable that it may fade into obscurity... don't believe me? Look at Friends Reunited or even lastminute... two websites that were massive.

Fablook isn't a bad name in any case, so maybe you could go with it anyway but I would use the whole FB thing as a marketing gimmick on a short term basis rather than set your whole marketing strategy around it

Very informative!! thanks, a lot of info to digest there, thanks again colour rep!

U

user123

There are pros and cons. From a legal point of view my understanding is you would be within your rights to do it. Unless Facebook own the rights to the font, they certainly don't own the colour or the box. If you were in the same industry then you'd have a problem but as you are not in direct competition my understanding is that you can't be seen as trading on their name... although in a sense you are using it.

My one concern is that you are putting your eggs in a shallow basket. For instance there is a decorating firm near me that goes under the name of 'Ant & Decorators', quite clever but it says two things, one that the company is new with no history and secondly that Ant & Dec aren't quite as big as they were 3 or 4 years ago and as such the name is losing its appeal.

Even though Facebook is huge at the moment it's not inconceivable that it may fade into obscurity... don't believe me? Look at Friends Reunited or even lastminute... two websites that were massive.

Fablook isn't a bad name in any case, so maybe you could go with it anyway but I would use the whole FB thing as a marketing gimmick on a short term basis rather than set your whole marketing strategy around it

You're a bright fella, aren't ya... :thumbsup:

Reply to Changing company name, opinions please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, First post and not entirely sure if this is the right place to post my question so...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
I meant to mention this a while ago but forgot, has anyone else had there skilled cscs card...
Replies
Views
On one
O
A bit of help needed please. A customer has sent me some pics of his kitchen. He is removing...
Replies
Views
Blunt Tool
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Changing company name, opinions please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.