Discuss Charcoal Limestone Bad Experience! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jc02

Hi all,
recently had 600x600 riven charcoal limestone tiles laid in a 36sqm kitchen/diner. Tiles were grouted without sealing and impressive grout haze occurred. Tiler used acid-based HG Cement Grout Film Remover to remove grout. I had asked for a colour-intensifying sealer to be used. Instead he then put HG Golvpolish satin gloss polish on and finally HG Impregnator to seal. The result is a dog's dinner of white clouding (acid etching?), white marks (residual grout?), uneven colouring, sealed-in footprints and roller marks. Tiler was paid (doh) and is not now possible to contact.
Rang HG International. They advised HG Spot Stain Remover to remove sealer and HG Remover to remove polish and possible that HG Cement Grout Film Remover had damaged tiles. Have used Spot Stain amd Remover on a test tile and sealer came off fairly well, a few blobs of polish remained but white marks remained on stubbornly.

As not sure if white marks are removable stains or damage, I plan to used the Spot Stain Remover and then Remover on the whole floor to see what I am left with. I was intending to hire a Scrubber Drier to enable me to go over the floor multiple times. I have read online that a Tynex 46 grit brush will give it the most aggresive scrub. Can anyone advise what type of brush would be most appropriate for the Scrubber and any other comments on ways forward would be very welcomed.

J

jc02

DSCF3112.jpg DSCF3114.jpg DSCF3115.jpg DSCF3113.jpg
To give you an idea.

D

DHTiling

Ouch,, not good at all..

This might well be knacked..

You can try some LTP Grimex to see if this will help. the scrubbing brush idea will be the best way to go as this will help get in the pores of the stone.. BUT if the tiler has used Acid cleaner that is not suitable for limestone then this could be the problem..

If you can get them clean then personally i would not use a topical sealer for them.. A colour enhancer would look best IMO but first lets see if we can get them clean.. but black limestone is a hard one..

J

jc02

Thank you all for your comments. I will get scrubbing this weekend and see if it can be saved. If it looks like it can't, is grinding it down likely to be a cost effective option or would replacement normally be cheaper. A number of the tiles have lips so the idea of grinding down is attractive. Would be quite happy with a honed finish. Presumably the adhesive leaves an uneven floor and more self-levelling will be required. Tiles were relatively inexpensive.

Reply to Charcoal Limestone Bad Experience! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all I laid a full patio with black limestone last October on a full layer of concrete. I...
Replies
Views
We had limestone pavers installed by our pool builder. Would really appreciate some feedback on...
Replies
Views
I have cream coloured limestone tiles installed on outdoor walls around the perimeter of my...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Charcoal Limestone Bad Experience!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.