Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Charity, what do you do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

My wife is a shopaholic!!! but her favourite stores aren't the branded ones (phew), she loves charity shops... BHF, Cancer Care, Oxfam.
We were having a clear out of the boys toys the other day, (in anticipation of them getting an inlux of new toys for their birthdays) and altho' they were sad to see some of them go, when we told them they were going to Oxfam they both said " Good, that means the kids in Africa can play with them!" We looked at each other, (me and Mrs Doug) and decided that we couldn't be patronising and tried explaining how the charity shops work. I think they kinda grasped it, altho', they're not willing to donate their Center Parc piggy bank.
Anyway, do you donate to charity?, which one? and how do you contribute?

D

Deleted member 9966

If I purposely donate (like at Christmas times) I always consider the British Heart Foundation and Alzheimers Society first, as these are the two main medical conditions in our family over the years.

But if people are doing sponsored stuff, I try and give generously to those people too. One guy at work did a bicycle ride from Brighton to London or something to raise money for charity. As it was a long distance and something I would never dream of doing myself, I donated heavily to show my respect for what he was doing and that it was an extremely good cause.

I shall also be frequenting charity shops when I have kids. No point buying brand new clothes and toys all the time when good quality kids stuff is available at a fraction of the price.

:thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I give plenty to Dougy Mac, the local air ambulance service, and more recently heart and cancer charities.

Recently sponsors the mrs' sisters' fella for the local half marathon too.

ElectriciansForums is sorting out charity stuff too, including pens, and half the pot is going to dougy mac which was my choice.

H

hillhead

I very rarlely pass a collector,i put a £20 note in a box last night at my surprise 40th birthday bash,the collection was for some girl who needs serious surgery on a tumor(poor girl).
I also seen 6 foreign women collecting in a local town lately handing out small candles with a note(help me,i have 3 small children and have no money to feed them).I took a candle as i was on the phone(bluetooth),she walked away giving me time to swallow, then came back as the lights were just turning green thumping my window the cheeky sod!!!!:yikes:
She got no money from me,next day seen the same happening.I didn't drop my window and as i drove on a little there was a guy standing out watching these women,obviously controlling the scam!! .
The police seem to move these people on reasonably quick but they just keep popping up again so BEWARE people.
Just be careful and make sure you give to genuine causes:thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

I give time to help the salvation army

like Deano I tithe to the church and then help out

we give practical help to the homeless and needy locally.I spend time talking to the homeless and we chat about how they got into this situation and the best way forward, they get practical help from the homeless group but love it when someone who understands what they are going through sits and chats with them. at xmas we raise money to buy presents for those that will have nothing to look forward too

we also have projects going worldwide especially in africa where the sa are building schools and equiping them. theres no such thing as free education in a lot of countries so we build free schools to educate the youngsters so that they will be able to drag their country out of its world position, there is also the usual well building programs as a lot of villages have no means of getting clean water without walking miles for it

michelles off to kenya later this year to teach the kids music and ill be over there in the next few years to give practical help with the building program. it costs thousands to volunteer and I dont have it right now

we also do the usual soup kitchen thing and feed people during local disasters

im not a god botherer and would rather just get on with it than look for reward

Reply to Charity, what do you do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello everyone, I am currently in a contract with Virgin and maybe coming out of it due to bad...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W
Hi all. I'm new to here but have picked up some good information from other threads but need a...
Replies
Views
Gazzer
G
ok im on a job at the mo, 4 bathrooms 3mtrs max each floor ive ripped up the old tiles to reveal...
2 3
Replies
Views
I'm knocking up a charity website that'll list only UK charities. Not only that, it'll list...
Replies
Views
J
think its better i keep my posts in forums arms. was looking at a thread re quality of paddles...
Replies
Views
Perry
P

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Charity, what do you do?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.