Discuss Chase Tiling Academy? Still going or not? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

SCCB

We have level 1,2,3 Diploma, and an evening course 6219 tiling/plastering (which is a very basic course). If your looking at going in the industry as a career why not consider an apprenticeship contact Tracy Kerr at [email protected] or 07787004710 for more details (its worth an ask).
To all the fixer sole traders and large/small company's out there why not look into taking on an apprentice. There is funding available from TTA and CITB. The age limit is 16-24 for an apprentice and there is funding called age grant, the funding can be up to £10.000 for the employer if all the criteria is met for the candidate.

I would be very interested to have anyone's experience with apprentices, good or bad ???

Thanks
Carl

Attachments

• IMAG1036.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 202
T

Time's Ran Out

In my experience of economic trends over the past 40+ years there is going to be a shortage very soon of skilled tradesmen. The slow economic periods (recession) certainly weed out the unskilled chancers in our industry as they have no customer base to develop, but those that remain should be preparing for the future and by using their resources they can build a steady business. Consider the apprentice schemes and see how it can help you!
Personally I couldn't listen to their choice of music but some say it's an age thing!

T

TJ Smiler

Well said TJ, your comment about weeding out the chancers is so true. People became so concerned about who and what they spent their money on that those who could not produce the goods were very very slowly weened out. I started tiling about a year before the recession began in 2008 so i had hardly the customer base or the reputation to feed off to keep me busy, to say it was a struggle is an understatement! i was having huge gaps in between jobs and the jobs that i was getting were on such a budget that there weren't much profit in them for me, however every job i did i made sure the work was great and the service too. Slowly over a period of the following 6 years my reputation and contact base base grew and grew. I now don't worry about finding work as it seems to find me and more often than not my quotes are slightly more expensive than my competition too. Unskilled and chancers have a very very limited shelf life in our industry but those that produce the goods and work hard and as you say use their resources could build a nice healthy profitable business.

Cheers mate

S

SCCB

Question is :

What is the best way to go about this ?

“Make him your Apprentice mate,he goes to College 1 day a week to learn and he works with you the rest of thetime. There are grants available. My College has a woman who makesthe whole process really easy and guides you though the whole process. This isby far the cheapest way of doing it if the person is under 25! It’s notcomplicated as someone will always help and guide you through the wholeprocess.”

O

One Day

Well said TJ, your comment about weeding out the chancers is so true. People became so concerned about who and what they spent their money on that those who could not produce the goods were very very slowly weened out. I started tiling about a year before the recession began in 2008 so i had hardly the customer base or the reputation to feed off to keep me busy, to say it was a struggle is an understatement! i was having huge gaps in between jobs and the jobs that i was getting were on such a budget that there weren't much profit in them for me, however every job i did i made sure the work was great and the service too. Slowly over a period of the following 6 years my reputation and contact base base grew and grew. I now don't worry about finding work as it seems to find me and more often than not my quotes are slightly more expensive than my competition too. Unskilled and chancers have a very very limited shelf life in our industry but those that produce the goods and work hard and as you say use their resources could build a nice healthy profitable business.

Cheers mate

Your story is mine exactly! I started struggling down this happy path in Oct 2007.

S

SCCB

“Make him your Apprentice mate,he goes to College 1 day a week to learn and he works with you the rest of thetime. There are grants available. My College has a woman who makesthe whole process really easy and guides you though the whole process. This isby far the cheapest way of doing it if the person is under 25! It’s notcomplicated as someone will always help and guide you through the wholeprocess.”

Or if you're not keen on the apprentice route, there is always the diploma. He may be able to start on the level 2.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Chase Tiling Academy? Still going or not? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB