Discuss Chip board floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

smokie899

TF
Esteemed
Arms
hello guys. Doing a small ensuite floor tomorrow just under 3sqm. Went and had a look at it and the floor is spotless as it only had laminate on it before and very solid, but the chip board has a coat of something on it which is clear and has a very smooth finish.
I'm presuming its some kind of moisture barrier.

Normally I would just use backer board on chip board but this is a guy who buys, tarts up and sells house for a quick turnaround and ain't having it no matter what I tell him.
So what is this stuff and will the addy take to it.
Tiles are 300x300 ceramic, 2 part flexi addy & grout.

A

Aston

Right got to the bottom of it. It's 3 coats of clear yacht varnish.
The main bathroom was done the same 3 years ago and it's solid.
He wants it done so it's getting done with the bal addyou

its a risk,
but, if you are going to do it regardless of the possible consequences, then at least try and get some form of signed evidence that you suggested the correct method. that way if there are any future problems, you have some form of back up.

T

Tile Shop

its a risk,
but, if you are going to do it regardless of the possible consequences, then at least try and get some form of signed evidence that you suggested the correct method. that way if there are any future problems, you have some form of back up.

Be careful with disclaimers or waivers. They are virtually worthless. If it went wrong and the customer then pays you to do it again properly, congratulations you dodge a bullet. But if they don't agree to pay again and they take it further, a court would look at your disclaimer, and say "We have it in writing that you knew it was wrong, but you did it anyway". Customer approval or not. your chances of talking that one round are slim to none.

If you haven't got a suitable surface to tile onto, you shouldn't tile it. Cover your back and do the prep. If they don't want that, walk away and let someone else carry on.

Although looking at the past posts and times, I guess you've already gone in and done it by now.

A

Aston

Disclaimers do not give you total cover BUT they can at least be used as some form of evidence if a failure ends up in court. Obviously if you do something that's deemed as a danger to the customer/public then you ain't got a leg to stand on. If you do a job that could run the risk of failure ie not 100% guaranteed and a client signs to say they accept that risk, then a court 'may' accept that you are working for the client but they are responsible regarding the final decison.

anyway, there are so many variables so it's best to do what I do which is to use a solicitor for law issues and a tiler for tiling.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Chip board floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, moved into a property and dining area has been tiled. The tiles have been placed...
Replies
Views
Diggerdog01
D
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone thanks for having me on the this forum ill try not to break any rules. I am diyer...
Replies
Views
Trying to Get bathroom re tiled, had conflicting advice from a few tilers, I’m a total novice...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup. We're installing a shower tray...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB