UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Chipboard with water UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stoner

Hi all,

Merry xmas and happy new year!!

been to look at a job today and they have installed water pipe UFH and then boarded over with chipboard. I explained that i would never tile onto chipboard even without the UFH. I've never come across this before, normally i would put backer boards down but i can't do this now. Floor was free from deflection.

Am i right in thinking Ditra-mat etc would be suitable for this?

D

DHTiling

Not looking good at present, they say you can tile directly onto this system, but IMO it would need more strength to it... hence why they floated a floor covering over it, ok for loose laid coverings but deffo not tiles.

The options are to use a fibre modified SLC to a suitable depth that it will not crack or over lay with BS 5385 min ply both options will need the polypipe system to be solid beforehand.

The ply would need fixing in situ without hitting the polypipe.

And then uncouple with Ditra or Dural CI+... I personally would not tile direct to such systems, overkill maybe to some but a way that will work..

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Rich the floor I laid was solid screed, with slc done by a brain damaged chmp. Then the poly-pipe laid on top, I insisted they screwed the poly-pipe board down, then I encapsulated the whole lot with slc, then put the decoupler down.

If you search poly-pipe on here you will find a thread I started, asking for advice. I also stated a thread called my worst nightmare about the same job. Hope this helps.

G

Gazzer

Neale and Phil

So what was the make up of the floors that you tiled like this? I had to walk away from one a little while ago as it was covered in 6mm ply and floating.

So are you saying that the pipes are fixed down and then you just treat it as the electric UFH, as in SLC over the top and then tile? And does that mean that you get shot of the insulation foam they use?

The one job I did was laid with polypipe in their own fibreboard channels. i had them screwed firmly down before I would even go on the job.
It was then for me to SLC over the top and lay Dural Ci all over.
There was no insulation foam on my jobs.

R

Rich

Hi Rich the floor I laid was solid screed, with slc done by a brain damaged chmp. Then the poly-pipe laid on top, I insisted they screwed the poly-pipe board down, then I encapsulated the whole lot with slc, then put the decoupler down.

If you search poly-pipe on here you will find a thread I started, asking for advice. I also stated a thread called my worst nightmare about the same job. Hope this helps.

I am so happy that that is spreading :lol:

S

stoner

Hi,

Quick update;

I did'nt get this job in the end. Customer rang me to say he would be putting 9 ply on top of chipboard but could'nt expect me to tile on and he would tile it himself. Not sure if 9mm WBP exists so i'm betting he's put standard ply down and IF he primes it, it will be PVA.

I know of 3 tilers around my area running around putting 9mm ply down and tiling on, and what's worse i'm losing out on jobs to these idiots. Tbh i've just about had it with this game. :thumbsdown:

G

Gazzer

Hi,

Quick update;

I did'nt get this job in the end. Customer rang me to say he would be putting 9 ply on top of chipboard but could'nt expect me to tile on and he would tile it himself. Not sure if 9mm WBP exists so i'm betting he's put standard ply down and IF he primes it, it will be PVA.

I know of 3 tilers around my area running around putting 9mm ply down and tiling on, and what's worse i'm losing out on jobs to these idiots. Tbh i've just about had it with this game. :thumbsdown:

To be fair , Its not only this game/Trade. I am sure plumbers, Electricians etc have to deal with the same issues !!

Reply to Chipboard with water UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
We had a water underfloor heating installed and tiled over. 3 months later we noticed many tiles...
Replies
Views
Amethsyt
A
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.