Discuss Chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

spen185

Hello, would love some advice from some experienced tilers, i have 15m2 floor with standard chipboard down as the base, tiler has come round and said that he can fix straight to it with a PVA primer down first, then he will use a single part S1 cement based adhesive, the tiles are 12" x 12" ceramic. Someone else informed me that this is not OK as the chipboard will suck the water from the adhesive and make the adhesive brittle, please help!!

C

cowgomoo

Hiyo Spen, tiling onto chipboard is a no no for lots of reasons - same goes for the use of pva - AVOID. You can use a decoupling membrane called Watec which is designed for just such a substrate then you can Duke your tiles on top of that. Lose the tiler who said it was ok as I think it a safe bet that he will not think it ok to come back and fix you floor gratis when it inevitably fails. If you cant find Watec get back to me and I will give you details. Cow.

D

DHTiling

Hello, would love some advice from some experienced tilers, i have 15m2 floor with standard chipboard down as the base, tiler has come round and said that he can fix straight to it with a PVA primer down first, then he will use a single part S1 cement based adhesive, the tiles are 12" x 12" ceramic. Someone else informed me that this is not OK as the chipboard will suck the water from the adhesive and make the adhesive brittle, please help!!

Tiler 1
said that he can fix straight to it with a PVA primer down first, then he will use a single part S1 cement based adhesive,

He is wrong..

Tiler 2
Said that this is not OK as the chipboard will suck the water from the adhesive and make the adhesive brittle,

He is wrong as well..

Over boarding is the option here..

C

cornish_crofter

Only a few months ago I had to remove tiles from a chipboard floor. The floor had flexed and the tiles simply lifted off without any effort.

The customer was NOT happy. The tiler had done a wonderful job on the floor. He got everything right apart from the preperation :oops:

The customer didn't want to pay the cost of strengthening the floor etc, so she opted for that bathroom laminate after we looked at all the wood floor options and none were suitable apart from bamboo, and she didn't like the colours it came in.

T

tfs

There are many tilers who have served their time who do not yet know that chipboard is not an ideal surface to tile to. As a result tilers still do it. Manufacturers also produce adhesives (usualy with admix) that are said to be suitable for over chipboard but, the honest truth is that it is risky due to the characteristics of this type of substrate.

There are some tilers who still think PVA is a great idea, untill a fe wyears ago people on this forum didnt even know that it was unwise to use PVA!

Tell your tiler to have a look on this forum to see whay it is no longer the choice of an 'informed' professional tiler to use PVA anymore.

In my experience it is those who do not take the time to research up to date industry standards and regulations who continue to work to older and dated standards in tiling. They may not use the internet much or may be a small one man band who never take on work that has been specified by an architect etc.

With this in mind I wouldnt be too harsh on him, it may be purely down to him working this wy for so long and he doesnt know any better. I am very confiedent that many good tilers used pva at some point in the past.

AS for my opinion, I would choose to oversheet with ply or cement backer board prior to tiling. If a primer is required 9 times out of 10 I choose to use primer G from Mapie unless it is a specific surface.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Chipboard
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.