Discuss close one! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tfs

I was on a jjob today, I have a bathroom to tile on a refrubishment project. I did all my prep work, reinforce floor, built bulk head etc and had to wait on some plumbing being done before I could start so decided that I would start tiling tommorrow. As my mate is doing all the plumbing I was giving him a hand for this rest of the afternoon.

We had to go under the floor board to run all the pipes for heating system and there was cable everywhere. As a precuation I thought I will take my voltage tester under the floor with me to test and cable I see that look dead.

Before going down I tested a few wires that I knew to be live (existing circuit cables etc)

The electrician who was doing a full reqire had just packed up and gone in a hurry (dont know why)

I put the tester on some of the cable he had coming up from floor and also out of new sockets that he had mounted.

They were all live and wire ends were not covered/ isolated, I felt a cable poke into my head so I turned round tested it and :yikes: it was live also.

I couldnt belive what I was seing and was very shocked that an electrician could leave a job like this. Customer were in and out daily as well as me and the plumber working on the job. The worst thing was, that this guy was talking about how he need to do thuis and need to do that (extra work) due to new regulation etc. So you would think he new how to do his job.

Rant over:lol:

S

SandyFloor

That reminds me of a job I was doing tiling parts of a restaurant and the main area had been wired up for downlighters and the sparks left site for the day thinking all the bare live wires hanging would be safe being 9ft in the air. Unfortunately they didn't tell the foreman who went up a ladder and BANG!!! on the top of his head and left a slight bald patch from burnt hair. I shouldn't say this but once it was clear he wasn't badly hurt it was incredibly funny.

T

tfs

I got a shock once as a kid and have never been caught out since.

Was asked to change a light buld that had blown. Being the good kid that I was I did what I was asked so a got the steps climbed up (3mtr high ceiling), Tried to put in the new bulb but couldnt see as it was pretty dark so I put my thumb in to see which way the bayonet fitting went and bang! Burnt my little thumb and had a sore arm too:lol: can honestly say I have never done that again:lol:

Never trust electricians or plumbers unless you REALLY know them. Had too many close one's for comfort. My favourite memory was tiling a splashback for a couple of surgeons in their all singing and dancing £30k kitchen when the mixer over the sink expoded sending the handle up to hit the ceiling then drop down on my head. Water fountain and blood fountain. Client (a surgeon mind you) goes into full panic mode and faints, I reach for my screwdriver and turn off the service valve. When the lady came back to the land of the living she sorted my head (3 stitches) and told me that the plumber had mentioned that the tap was a "bit iffy" yesterday but didn't think it bad enough to knock the water off til he fixed it.

Oh how I laughed.

Reply to close one! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
close one!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.