UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Cold Call Warning - Somebody wanting to check windows PC's in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
My mother in law has had a few of these but I've just had one now too.

A company (indian) called and said our computer is vulnerable to attack and they want us to turn it on. I hung up. But they would want you to visit a website where they then either install malware, or want you to subscribe to something. I didn't give them chance.

So just giving you the heads up.

Nobody should ever need to get you to do something to your pc.

Just make sure you anti-virus is up to date and you should be fine and dandy.

Warn the housewives more than anything as they'll be the ones taking the calls no doubt and might assume it's legit.

D

Deleted member 9966

Warn the housewives? how sexist are you Daniel! :nonod:

Warn the old people more like. My father-in-law got stung with this 2 years ago. At first he was unsure whether the people ringing were legit so took their number. Rang his wife and left her a message asking to call him back so he could check. But in the mean time he decided it was legit and rang them back. He did what they wanted, and they managed to install something. Eldest bro-in-law went ballistic because he's head of systems at Monsoon and had set their home pc up with all the right anti virus etc and had to unpick the entire pc to find the virus/whatever it was. Father-in-law is not allowed to connect his laptop to the internet anymore.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Warn the housewives? how sexist are you Daniel! :nonod:

Warn the old people more like. My father-in-law got stung with this 2 years ago. At first he was unsure whether the people ringing were legit so took their number. Rang his wife and left her a message asking to call him back so he could check. But in the mean time he decided it was legit and rang them back. He did what they wanted, and they managed to install something. Eldest bro-in-law went ballistic because he's head of systems at Monsoon and had set their home pc up with all the right anti virus etc and had to unpick the entire pc to find the virus/whatever it was. Father-in-law is not allowed to connect his laptop to the internet anymore.

lol perhaps should have worded that better. I mean for the lads to tell their mrs if they're at home. You normally find it's worthy tax-wise for the Mrs to go through the books and take the business calls and sort out invoices and whatnot and then use her tax allowance in the business. So it's common to find "housewives" with tradesmen I think?

But yeah, oldies too.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Had a few of these, I always say "That's interesting I don't have a PC, are you sending me a free one?" phone normally goes dead.

Next time they call I'm gonna let them talk me through whatever they want to talk me through but not actually do anything

"go this this website"

"right okay got the website open"

"click this button"

"right I've clicked the button"

Just to see what it actually is they're doing.

F

Fliselege

My Mum works for a software company and gets these calls all the time and due to the nature of her job she knows to put the phone down and be careful doing things on her P.C anyhoo last week she got an e-mail from her bank saying her account had been closed down and they needed security info to re activate it, had her account number on it and looked very convincing so while it was up on the screen she phoned Halifax direct to confirm it was a scam which it was, got to be careful out there!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cold Call Warning - Somebody wanting to check windows PC's in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
F
Hi all I'm tiling my second kitchen, and just wanted to check in with you all that I'm doing it...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
Watch out for this scam. Just had a call from "Microsoft Support" and quickly got rid of the...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
D
How do I drill a hole in a steel bath. Or cast iron bath. Instructions on drilling into baths...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
E
Hi everyone! I just wanted to recommend Greig the tiler... this post is long overdue! He came...
Replies
Views
aphilp
A

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.