Discuss Coloured grout has stained tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kruizcoli

Hi there,
I hope someone can help. My boyfreidn and I are doing up an old house. We have been tiling the bathroom floor but have hit a problem. We have used Ba dn Q ceramic floor tiles dark beige, unibond rapid set floor tile adhesive and unibond floor tile grout for bathrooms, kitchens and hallways in a dary grey. We have done half the floor. The problem is that many of the tiles have become very stained after grouting with either large splotches or all having a grey stain. Should we have sealed the tiles first? There was no information on the packs about this. What can we now do about these tiles? We have tried scrubbing them just with warm water but to no effect. How else can we clean them? We want to do the other half of the floor. My boyfriend grouted 6 tiles at a time before wiping up an excess grout. So the grout was only on the tiles for 5 minutes. Is this too long? Why has this happened, can we fix it and how can we prevent it happeing in the other half?
Any advise appreciated,
Louise

B

Bolter

Hi there,
I hope someone can help. My boyfreidn and I are doing up an old house. We have been tiling the bathroom floor but have hit a problem. We have used Ba dn Q ceramic floor tiles dark beige, unibond rapid set floor tile adhesive and unibond floor tile grout for bathrooms, kitchens and hallways in a dary grey. We have done half the floor. The problem is that many of the tiles have become very stained after grouting with either large splotches or all having a grey stain. Should we have sealed the tiles first? There was no information on the packs about this. What can we now do about these tiles? We have tried scrubbing them just with warm water but to no effect. How else can we clean them? We want to do the other half of the floor. My boyfriend grouted 6 tiles at a time before wiping up an excess grout. So the grout was only on the tiles for 5 minutes. Is this too long? Why has this happened, can we fix it and how can we prevent it happeing in the other half?
Any advise appreciated,
Louise

Would need some pics to form a better opinion. Welcome to the forums.

K

kruizcoli

Just going up to the house to do more work today. Will take photos and upload tonight. The tiles are B and Q ceramic mosaic dark beige Ceramic Mosaic Tile Dark Beige (W)316 x (L)316 x (T)8mm Pack Of 10, 5030659055163
The staining doesnt appear to be coming from behind the tiles.
The adhesive was the unibond adhesive, mixed with unibond additive for felxi floors to plywood lining the floorboards. Attached using a proper ahesive tool and any adhesive was wiped off the tiles immediately. We have followed the instructions on the back of the paskets for all of these products (or so we think). We have mixed up packs of the tiles so that its not just a batch of tiles. Some tiles are a lot worse than others..you'll see when i put the photos on.
Thanks for your help so far...
louise

Last edited by a moderator:
E

enduro

I had a look at these tiles via your link..a couple of the comments say they have a rough surface and and are hard to keep clean..So it sounds like the grout is getting into the rough bits on the tiles...So you need this.

LTP Grout Stain Remover
Description: LTP Grout Stain Remover is the solution for removal of cement and grout residues and is extremely effective against mineral salt formations (efflorescence). Useful for routine cleaning of patios and other outside paved areas, LTP Grout Stain Remover may be used on glazed ceramics, quarry tiles, terracotta and some stone.

Tips: Pick this product if you have cement and grout residues, mineral salt formations, limescale, water marks, dirty patios and other outside areas. Do not use on limestone or when underfloor heating systems are in operation. DO NOT USE ON ACID SENSITIVE SURFACES.

K

kruizcoli

Thanks for the advice so far.
We were up yesterday and tried scrubbing with everything in the kitchen! Will try and get that Grout cleaner you recommend.
The surface is rough. I have included some photos. tiles.JPG tiles2.JPG
The row of tiles at the bottom are the new ones put down that have not been grouted yet to show the colour difference. The second photo shows one of the worst stains. We are doing the house up as a b and b and this is the first room we ahve almost finished so we were gutted to see these stains. Will get looking for that cleaner product and let you know how it goes.
Thanks, Louise

Reply to Coloured grout has stained tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Coloured grout has stained tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.