Discuss concrete floor drying times? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all,

Im after some advice on concrete floors and drying times. I have a wet room to tile in Travertine with electric UFH and the customer only wants the finished floor to be the same height as the floor leading into the wetroom. This has caused some problems as the floor is concrete in a bungalow. The plumber has dug the floor down so we can build it up to the correct height and has gone down about 3 inch which has hit some polystyrene insulation which is also 3 inch thick, its then concrete again. So basically we have a 3 inch ploystyrene floor at the moment which only needs to be raised about 2 inch to allow for UFH, DITRA, TILES etc.

My questions are

1. Is the required min depth of concrete 3 inch? Thats what we are thinking.

2. Is it ok to tile on concrete over insulation or is this a floating floor?

3. Would it be ok to reduce the insulation to 2 inch (new insulauion) and then build up with 3 inch of concrete?

4. If so how long will it take to dry so i can tile? I understand its 1 day per mm of thickness to dry which is about 75days???

5. Is there anyway of being able to start tiling sooner than *** days as we want to get cracking?

Sorry for all the questions, just so you know my original plan before this was to lay insulation boards, then wires ontop, slc on the wires, de coupling on slc (once dry) then tile.

6. Will i be able to start tiling as soon as i can walk on concrete because of the de coupling/Ditra?

Any advice would be great

Cheers

You dont want it to adhere to the insulation. Ther shoulb a slip membrane on top of the insulation​

Ajax 123, what would your best advice be on this floor to try and avoid waiting for a few weeks for concrete to dry? What kind of slip membrane should be on the insulation, will it come with the new insulation? I notice your a floor screed adviser and would really appreciate your advice as i really need a solution asap , cheers.​

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Simple 500 gauge ploythene slip membrane. If you use cement based screed you should place minimum 65 mm on insulation particularly if it is old polystyrene. Same with concrete. Drying time 1mm per day. Overlay with ditra or dural when it has gone hard and you shod be good to go. Not sure what ou would stickthe ditra with but a call to schluter or dural will sort that.

Simple 500 gauge ploythene slip membrane. If you use cement based screed you should place minimum 65 mm on insulation particularly if it is old polystyrene. Same with concrete. Drying time 1mm per day. Overlay with ditra or dural when it has gone hard and you shod be good to go. Not sure what ou would stickthe ditra with but a call to schluter or dural will sort that.​

Should i use ditra again ontop of UFH with the tiles being Travertine or will that one on the concrete be ok? can i even use two mats on the one floor? Sorry for all the questions but this floor is doing my head in, thanks for your input so far.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to concrete floor drying times? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Preston

Thread Information

Title
concrete floor drying times?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.