Discuss Concrete floor problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I'm going to be tiling a concrete floor soon, that was laid in October 09. The problem is that i can scrape up to a cm off the surface of the concrete, of what looks to me like cement, that turns to powder as i scrape it off. The company that done the job, said in cases like this they just cover it with slc, and then it'll be ok for tiling. Now i'm thinking, will a slc put this right, or is this company just trying to fob me off. Any advice on this will be appreciated, thanks.
PS, I have included a couple of pics below.

Attachments

• concret floor 2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 27
  • concrete floor1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 25

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
This looks like laitance to me. IT could be mixed up with a curing compound of some sort but not sure. It will need to be scraped back as much as possible to hard concrete and then I suggest treating with a consolidating epoxy such as PHS from Flowcrete or PSRS from Ardex. This will leave a reasonably hard surface onto which you could pour a smoothing compound to which you could tile.

Reply to Concrete floor problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Poynton, cheshire

Thread Information

Title
Concrete floor problem
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.