Discuss concrete / wood floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob#1

Hi, any help greatly appreciated; basically I plan to tile my open plan kitchen (concrete floor) & dining room (conventional floor boards) approx 35 sq mt. I plan to install under floor heating to take the chill off the tiles only. Raising the height of the floor level too much is a concern.

Q1 - 100watt or 160watt matt’s
Q2 - plywood or backer boards or both?
Q3 - what if anything do I need to do for flex where the two different floor materials meet?
Q4 - can anyone recommend a cheap supplier for the backer boards if they are required.
Q5 - I live near Manchester and have seen the tiles I want in Tile Mark - does anyone have experience of this company / quality - does anyone have alternative quality suppliers who are reasonably priced

Thanks in advance for any help / guidance

Somerset
Hi Rob and welcome.

Before you start - under tile heating works best laid onto some form of insulation board, the thick the board the more efficient the heating. Usually the under floor heating manufacturers recommend a 10mm thick board, although a lot of us installers use 6mm boards if the customer is trying to keep floor height down. I do not recommend laying under floor heating unless you lay down insulation boards first.

It is not just about how hot the tiles get, but how efficient the system is. Remember that you are paying electricity in kilowatt hours - and 100watts over 35 square meters is 3.5 kilowatts. The matting comes in different power ratings dependant upon the type of floor it is laid on - it is recommended that 100 watt (per square meter) is used over floor boards, and 150 watts (psm) over concrete. I would therefore advise you to zone the heating - a 150 watt system in the kitchen and a seperate 100 watt system in the other room over the floorboards.

Before you start I recommend you watch this video from warmup (one of the under floor heating suppliers)
Warmup | Underfloor Heating Videos | Warmup® Underfloor Heating Videos

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob#1

Hi, Thanks everyone for the advice, we (wife) are still undecided on the tile type - it will be either slate or porcelain depending upon cost.

the backer boards that i have seen state that they have the same "U" value as the insulation boards so these should be ok?

i was going to use 10mm as i thought it may add additional strength to the floor where the two floor types join (concrete & wood) - do you agree? 6mm would be preferable as the floor height is a real issue

as i only want the chill taking off the tile 100w should be ok then?

Thnaks for all the advice

Rob

Reply to concrete / wood floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
concrete / wood floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.