UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Confused about back buttering in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Brad

Hi all.....

am still unsure about this whole back buttering thing......i have always understood that trowelled addy creates air pockets allowing the addy to dry...if on large format tiles the recommendation is to back butter both substrate and tile, would this not effectively create a bed of addy with no air pockets, making it difficult for the addy to cure properly?

also, as porcelain tiles are not porous like ceramic, it is not good practice to back skim them regardless of the tile size?

I

Ian

A cement based adhesive does not need any air to dry, it sets by chemical reaction (it will cure under water). So the whole point of back skimming/buttering is to create a solid bed with no air pockets in gaining 100% coverage between the tile and substrate. You should not be using dispersion adhesive (ready mixed in a tub) on large format tiles as this does require air to dry out, most tilers on here will tell you that they don't even use ready mixed adhesive anymore, possibly only for a kitchen splash back with 10x10 tiles. Does that help explanation help a little more? If some of it doesn't make sense just ask some more questions and I/we will be happy to help.

B

Brad

Thanks for that Bri. I learned something new today!

What would your advice be on back skimming tiles? Presuming your substrate is straight/level, would you back skim every tile (even a 150x150 ceramic tile)? That would seem like overkill to me, for a ceramic tile. However, my reasoning on porcelain tiles is that because they are non-porous, regardless of their size, it would be good practice to back skim. If that makes sense??

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I always used to say you only need to back-butter/skim tiles that are translucent and only really due to you seeing 'ribs' through the tile in certain light if it wasn't 100% covered. But then stones came in that required you to skim them to fill small voids, for similar reasons as above.

6 x 6" ceramics don't need to be back buttered.

Most things on walls don't either unless the tile type requires it.

Floors might be a bit different as you want to get 100% coverage which ensures you don't have weak spots should any weight be applied to the tile at some point or a sharp object get dropped on it on that very point. If you have 100% coverage, your tile becomes as strong as the substrate (unless you have soft stone etc then that's a bit different).

You don't need to go silly with the back buttering though it's time consuming so only do it where applicable.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Thanks Dan. You say to back butter/skim the tile if "the tile type requires it". Could you elaborate. Sorry if i'm overthinking this whole thing, it's the way my head works. Ta.

Well, if the tile is a translucent marble, and you hadn't back-buttered it, and you ended up with some trowel lines still in the adhesive when you pressed the tile into it, once you'd finished the job and the adhesive had dried, you risk being able to see them through the tile in certain light conditions. Not what the customer wants!

If the tile is a soft tile, you would want to do it so that you had no weak spots.

If the tile had voids you needed to fill, you'd want to do it then too for similar reasons to both of the above.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Confused about back buttering in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I've got some large tiles from Porcelanosa to fit in a quadrant shower enclosure. The tiles are...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Last time I posted here I was having a first attempt at tiling the walls in a shower...
Replies
Views
Waluigi
W
Q
    • Winner
    • Informative
So I was recently asked to fit some 3m x 1.5m 6mm thin porcelain in a new tile showroom. Mapei &...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.