Discuss connect UFH to a socket? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

masterbuilders

Hi there. I'm instaling a 3m UHF for a customer, and I've always powered all previous UFH from an RCD breaker (sparky doing the connection fom me). In this job the customer doesn't want the fuss of running a new wire from the consumer unit under the stairs to 1st floor bath, lifting floorboards etc.
Is it possible, and above all is it legal, to power UHF from a socket using possibly a fuse box and fused thermostat? Any ideas welcome as my sparky is on holiday and cannot be contacted.

Somerset
Depends on how big the installation is. Things to consider are:

1. Total wattage of circuit - i.e. if wattage per sq m is 200 - you install 20 sq m in conservatory, thats a 4KW fixed load. What else is on that circuit? Will it overload it? Many ufh installations are in kitchen - you could end up with dishwasher and washing machine on same circuit - both have 3kw water heaters inside them. (yours is 3sq m not a problem on ring circuit).
2. You must wire the installation through a fused spur, fuse appropriate to heating load. (Probably a 3A fuse in your case).
3. Cables must be installed in a safe zone (directly vertical or horizontal to accessory) not within 50mm of gas or water pipe (although they can cross, just not run alongside).
4. Only most recent electrical installations have a properly managed consumer unit with dual RCD breakers - system may require upgrading. You must be fully qualified to sort that out.
5. Installation should include a plan of cable layout in floor (your responsibility) and a notice attached to consumer unit (this installation includes under floor heating....etc).

In all honesty, the customer should be referred to an electrician, unless you got C & G 2381 qualification....

Reply to connect UFH to a socket? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

The dread strikes when the number of a customer appears on your phone several months after you...
Replies
Views
U
Hi, I am having my new bathroom installed and have had UFH fitted under my floor tiles. My...
Replies
Views
bugs183
B
J
Hi all, My first post on the forum, however i have used it from time to time to gain valuable...
Replies
Views
stusgsx
S
U
I hope somebody can offer us some advice. We had an extension built last spring and have been...
Replies
Views
I
Just thought I knock up a thread with step by step pictures of an electric underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
dean mckeown
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
connect UFH to a socket?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.