Discuss Considering giving up tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

Probably on a bit of a low at the moment, but I just cannot get the quality of my tiling up to scratch at the moment.

I've just been struggling with the walls on this wet room, making silly mistakes etc. The floor isn't too bad but not perfect. The time i spent on this job doubled partly due to my kak handiness. It's taking forever to tile the walls and quite frankly I'm only struggling on because I want this job finished and out of the way. I don't particularly care if I don't get paid right now!

Truth is I don't do enough tiling to come up to the standards shown on this site.

I have problems with detail such as cuts not being in line .5mm out, levelling out tiles, - you name it I can see so much wrong with the work at the moment.

This is no thanks to those crappy tiles from CTD.

Yet I have seen stuff I've done a couple of years back and it looks great.

What gives?

B

bootsmckiber

I don't know how long you've been tiling but I'm sure we all go through our slumps,perfection comes with time,patience,persistency and pride and when these become second nature to you then you'll find your not as much,I've been tiling for 27 yrs now and when I'm on the floor I have a 4ft,a2ft,and a torpedo level with me at all times,be sure to pack them up at the end of the day or you'll be inviting the client to walk all over your freshly set tilework to see if it's level,I've never thought not to have three levels on the go because it works for meand now it's second nature,but my floors are always level,as for your frustration on the walls,if you have to make your grid smaller do so and just do it,if that still frustrates you,draw a smaller grid,say the size of your tile,get your helper to do it and check his/her work every hour,"Aman who is not living well is easily discouraged by defeat/setbacks,A man who is living well survives the down times with confidence"(Dr Larry Crabb)he's probably not a tiler.But hang in there man,if you don't have a passion for tiling or aren't enjoying your craftsmanship,then maybe you should rethink your chosen proffesion,I love tiling more now than when I first started,Don't be frantic trying to "just git er done"but get a good steady pace,keep a time checkon yourself and your work,and take pride,there's no better feeling than making your client smile for a job well done(except the paycheck of course)but,hang in there,tomorrow's another day,good luck.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Park Gate
I can tell you nmate that I look at every job I do with a very critical eye. Some I look at and think, 'yup! Pretty good that!' and others I think, 'could have done better', or 'If Id done that differently it would have been better'. Ultimatly the customer is the judge and if they're happy then I should be!

Had a job before Chrimbo that was an absolute pita for many different reasons and I got to a point where I was like a rabbit in headlights! Just had to plough on through and get it finished. Its hard when you work on your own as you haven't got any work mates to pick you up, I guess that's what this forum is for eh?

Put it behind you and move on into a New year!

Ian

S

SandyFloor

Just to add a bit here, Hugo. You're maybe being a bit hard on yourself comparing your work to the stuff you might see on JOTM for instance. Just remember nearly all these guys and gals are very experienced and talented full time tilers and the thing that is constantly repeated is tiling is not such an easy skill so maybe you need to cut yourself some slack. You clearly have the right attitude and the fact this is troubling you shows you're trying to achieve excellence in your work.

I have a suggestion as an alternative to a course and that is to find an experienced tiler closer to home and work with them on a bathroom foc for a day or two. That way you'll pick up loads of tips as well as simply having a bit of banter and company.

B

bathroomboy

I'm on a downer too, mad busy all last year and then mid October it all falls off, I do mainly full bathroom refits and plumbing, mainly word of mouth, put a few ads in the local rag but as i have found in the past this usually attracts the dregs of jobs, last night I had a call to box some pipes and tile over because the guy she paid upfront for full bathroom is refusing to come back and finnish it. Alarm bells or what! I only got a few calls for bursts last month, if I could get a monday to friday job working for some one I would jump at it, having unexpected periods of no work does my head in and it's not looking good for the future with vat and job losses, I feel the resession has finally caught up with me.

Reply to Considering giving up tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Considering giving up tiling
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.