Discuss Couple of questions... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

paulames

Hi,I'm currently in the middle of tiling my ensuite. I ripped out what was there before at Christmas. Since then I have installed a new shower tray which sits directly on the floor, added a boxed in section to allow for the concealed cistern, plumbed in a chrome radiator and started tiling.I started tiling on the weekend with some 600x300 porcelain - its amazing how long it takes as I thought I would have it done after two days! Anyway, I have a couple of questions. Firstly I was looking at some of the tiles last night and on one part of the wall, one of the tiles was loose and I pulled it off - the same was true for above and below. Obviously I was very annoyed. It looks like the tiles didn't have very good contact with the adhesive as it was stuck on the wall fine. It was also in a small area where there was some tile trim so I think because of this tile trip it had 'spaced' one edge out a bit and prevented the tiles from coming in with such good contact to the adhesive. The trim is a brushed metal 10mm one from homebase. When people fit these how do you usually do it. I was adding a small amount of adhesive to the trim first and then adding my tiles on top? I'm now worried about the rest of the tiles - i've tried to gently lever them off with a screwdriver but they seem ok!On a separate note. I have some decorative 30x30 mosaic tiles to lay as a border (will half them for the border so 30x15). They are made of brushed metals & glass. Whats the best way to lay these? I was going to use the same adhesive as I have for the other tiles with a standard 6mm notched trowl but then use some tape to 'hang' them form the tile above (using spacers to gauge the gaps). When in position I was going to use a flat surface such as another tile or a grouting trowel to gently push them flush with the time above and below. Luckily the mosaic is about the same depth as the other tiles!I dont know how to add links but heare is a link to a picture so you get an idea https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=436B7103C4B43867!2218&authkey=!AKJ9QPGmAVJOOkw

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, so much to say lol

OK, firstly, it sounds like dust possible on the backside of the tile that's causing lack of adhesion ( possible ) what size trowel are you using, what adhesive ?

Now, what is the wall substrate ? painted plaster ?

As for fixing the trim, I would normally fix one wall at a time, spread adhesive, fit trim fix tiles to border height, fix border and space / peg it and fix tiles on top of the border, one wall at a time.

Tap the mosaic flush with a grouting float as you say.

But before all that, I really think you should have asked questions first to get the preparation right, you could be heading for a nightmare

P

paulames

It looks like the adhesive has squished down....but not by very much at all. So I should be putting adhesive on the tile as well?...back buttering? Is this just a thin layer? I guess I should try to pull off another tile or two to see if it comes off?
Also the adhesive, although it was 'dry' it wasn't exactly really hard and managed to scrape it off fairly easy. How long should it take to fully set? It had been about two days?!

P

paulames

Ok. have just got home and decided to try to pull some other tiles off the wall. I took one row off and they came off fairly easily :(. It does look like I havent put a bigger enough bed of adhesive on the wall, pushed the tiles down enough and have not backbuttered the tile. I would have thought that you guys would agree by looking at the attached pics? It looks like I will be spending half a day removing what I have already done? If I was to do this an I think I probably will do....when I take the adhesive off the wall I presume that it will be fine to just remove all the ridges and make flat & clean but not worry about the odd bit of adhesive left on the wall?
DSC01324.jpg DSC01321.jpg DSC01325.jpg DSC01319.jpg

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Grrr, why don't my posts go up straight away. I mixed with suggested water ratio on bag and these tiles would have been layer with fairly new stuff probably only about an hour old and its supposed to have up to an 8 hour pot life!

The skinning up is to do with the amount of time on the wall, not in the bucket.. I find that the addy will go like this without backskimming on Porcelain anyway though, as the adhesive isn't absorbed into the tile. The fact that a large section of that adhesive hasne been touched, says to me that either the tile, or the wall, is bowed, so you need to use a larger trowel, or spread on the tile (where the addy doesn't touch) too. :thumbsup:

P

paulames

Ahhh, ok....i may have left some on the wall a little too long but I normally scrape this off and throw if I have.

I'm glad you told me to stop pulling at the tiles!! I was gonna go pull em all off but this morning I pulled at a few and they aren't coming up. Plus, on one that did I noticed that the adhesive behind it was much darker (I.e not fully dry yet) when compared to the stuff which had been open to the air all night.
Now I don't know what to do! Think I'm just gonna leave them how they are and replace the ones I have pulled up. I know that if I go try to pull em all up then most will probably be stuck down ok.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Couple of questions... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB