Discuss Cracked ceramic floor tiles, from ladder? in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

P

Peter W

Hi,

I've not long been tiling long and have recently tiled a bathroom floor but the ceramic tiles have cracked. I used Bal flexible floor ahdesive (10mm notched trowel) and Bal Superflex floor grout.

I took up the floorboards before tiling and put down WBP 18mm ply and also screwed many batons in between the joists (nice and flush with the joists at the top edge) and screwed the ply down every 200 mm at least. I thought i was doing a thorough job.

I can't understand how they've cracked as it was a very solid prep.

The customer used a step ladder and took some heavy stuff out the loft a cple of weeks after completion of the job. Could it have been this? Should they have put the ladder on a spreader board first?

Or is it likely to have been the towel rail pipes under the floor causing contraction / expansion?

The ply was put down in approx 4ft square pieces for ease if handling, and the cracks seem to be above where these ply boards meet. Several have cracked and the cracks are pretty much in a straight line.

Be great to hear your ideas as i don't want to do another before i know what to do in future.

Cheers,

Pete

D

Daveyboy

Hi Pete, not a nice situation to be in....it's not clear from yr post where the ply joints meet in relation to the run of the joists and extra noggins you put in...If the joints are straddling a joist and the cracking is running the same direction as the joists, then it could well be too much movement in the joist(s) or settlement of the property. If the joints are at right angles to the joists, then it could still be joist movement if the crack line is also at right angles.

I've never had a problem with the ply swelling up/shrinking but that could happen if the ply was damp/too dry when laid. I had an ensuite (above a garage) suffer a bit of settlement and it split a 3m row of tiles straight down the middle of every tile in that row! The rest of the room was undamaged.

I also always check to see how much 'bounce' a floor has before agreeing to tile it, particularly in older properties where the joists are likely to have come loose in their wall mounts or rotted slightly. If your floor had too much bounce, then the moving of heavy objects over/on it would increase the risk of cracking.

Good luck sorting it out....David

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cracked ceramic floor tiles, from ladder? in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB