Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Cracked grout report advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SandyFloor

I was asked to have look at a tiled kitchen floor that was installed by a home improvement company as the grout was cracking even though it had been regrouted. It was put in 8 weeks ago.

It was 9.5 mm ply over floorboards. Apart from the ply being too thin imo I wasn't satisfied as to why this was happening. The owners agreed to me lifting a tile. The grout raked away really easily and the tile lifted almost effortlessly. No problem with the coverage of adhesive on the ply but there was no adhesion to the tile at all suggesting several possible reasons for the failure.

I've been asked to give them a report on my findings for them to use this as leverage. My question is: should I report only the bare facts and avoid speculation as to the fixing methods?

My intention was simply to state the ply being inadequate and lack of adhesion as mentioned as well as the grout lines being really being a bit of a mess. They also asked me about remedial work which I obviously advised was that for me to gaurantee the job I would insist on a complete re-do. They've also asked me to price this.

Anything I should be aware of?

J

jamie B

Stick with observational report mate IMO, you could get into all sorts of speculation otherwise..I've seen similar when addys gone off in hot weather so although the tile has been 'bedded' against it, the addy has skinned and so takes the imprint of the back of the tile but doesn't adhere...you've just gotta neutral to make sure you don't end up with conflicting interests (ie making report/tendering for job!) after all they already know it's failed!..why do we always get to break the bad news eh?!!:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

peckers

I would just say that the tiles havent stuck to the adhesive, this they can see. if they ask for a reason just state that there could be many reasons, but as you diddnt install them you couldnt give a definate one. But if you were to relay the floor it wouldnt happen.
The customer should go back to the company that installed them and get them to come and have a look now that you have removed one.
And they should put it right. If they dont then the customer should approach you to install it correctly.
Your not bad mouthing anyone, you are only stating the obvious findings! cant be fairer then that :thumbsup:

Reply to Cracked grout report advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello need some help had a new bathroom done though a builder and the tiling does not look like...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Cracked grout report advice please
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.