Discuss Cracked screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rj1884

Good evening.

I looked at a job where the client wants the swimming pool surround tile with UFH. I've done quite a bit of tiling in the house but they've asked if I could tile the swimming pool area. It's currently got a grubby bit of carpet laid over the existing screed. The problem is some parts of the screed have cracks in which I hope you can see from the photos. Also where the two white plastic covers are the screed appears to have turned a slightly greenly mould colour.
This will the first time tiling this sort of area. I believe the screed will need seeing to prior to tiling so my question is what's the best way to deal the cracks and would anyone know what the discolouration be.
I apologise if the photos come out upside down.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 193

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Many thanks Ajax. If I were to repair it is it a straight forward process. Impish it's awful, I think things are living in it.

You would need to do what is called a resin stitch. Done properly this would involve cutting slots at rightangles to the cracks at roughly 1m intervals and dropping in a piece of stainless steel bar then the whole thing filled with epoxy or polyurethane resin. Most people just do the resin bit and ignore the need for cross crack lateral support. It's reasonbably easy to do but as I said its not necessary where ditra is used. I would moody recomend repairing it if you were not using ditra. The only other thing to be wary of is curling. If the screed has curled you might need to remove some to replace it. Looking at the pics curling does not look like it has happened.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cracked screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Had a tiling company in to get rid of some glass wall mosaic tiles, redo with green ones. In the...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out here; I've been reading as many threads...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB