Discuss cracking and uneaven slc over concrete floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I looked at a job yesterday where a plasterer levelled a concrete floor for the customer. The customer was out for the day so did not know what the plasterer used. The 'latex' (this is what the plasterer said he used) is cracking all over the surface. It is hollow in places when I tap it. The manhole cover has just had a blob of 'latex' poured on top of it. There are 'wave' marks everywhere. My personal feeling is that either the liquid/powder mix is not correct &/or the concrete floor below has not been cleaned or primed. I have advised the customer to speak to the man that completed the work. Can I have your views on what the cause of the cracking to be. I have advised the customer that I would not tile onto this surface as I feel that in a very sort space of time the tiles/grout will start to crack too. Also, any advise on how to tile over a manhole cover so that in case of emergency it can be lifted without too much damage to the tiles. The customer wants a modular 3 tile design on the floor. Cheers Sean

Attachments

• P1010364.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 74
  • P1010366.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 59
  • P1010369.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 65
  • P1010370.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 62

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
He has mixed that too wet and its not a latex version, that has been mixed with water.

Picture 2 of 15 from Sandstone floor.

Manholes are pretty straight forward Sean, you will need to raise it level with your tiles. If its just a lid then it needs changing so that it can be tiled into, again thats pretty straight forward to do.

:thumbsup:

Cheers Diamondtiling. Nice manhole cover in the pic. If the customer gets her money back from the other guy and I get the job of redoing it i guess it's just a case of hammering the slc and sweeping up the pieces. Been looking around for manhole covers online but not had much luck in finding one that I can tile into. I also found out yesterday that this poor customer let the plumber tile her downstairs WC. Needless to say, the customer is not happy with the end result. I've seen the workmanship and I would not be happy either. This customer is not having a very good weekend! Cheers Sean

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
looks like he's trowelled it with a live snake!! was there any under screed ufh turned on there Sean?

No UFH Doug. Just an old concrete floor. The customer does not know what condition it was in because there had always been carpet over it.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
That type of crazing is generally associated with over rapid drying of the screed. I agree with Whitebeam. I would guess no primer onto old dry concrete and the concrete has simply sucked all the moisture out of the levelling compound. This would also account for it delaminating as it dessicates before having time to "grab" on to the subfloor. Take it up and start again is my advice

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
That type of crazing is generally associated with over rapid drying of the screed. I agree with Whitebeam. I would guess no primer onto old dry concrete and the concrete has simply sucked all the moisture out of the levelling compound. This would also account for it delaminating as it dessicates before having time to "grab" on to the subfloor. Take it up and start again is my advice

Excellent point there Ajax123. I thought it looked like it dried too fast, but then I dismissed that because it would have been laid down in coldish weather conditions. It had not crossed my mind that it was being sucked up by the concrete. I will remember that one for the future. Cheers Sean

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Customer mailed me to say that the plasterer says he can't scrape up what he has already poured. He will come over on Saturday to pour more 'latex' over the cracked 'latex'! I have advised her not to let him do that! One point about the manhole cover.....I was in Selco today looking at manhole covers suitable for tiling. I could not find anything that looked like the one that Diamondtiling posted. Am I right in thinking that if I did find one like Diamontiling's pic would I have to dig out the old one and replace with new? I was thinking of tiling around the existing cover and siliconing around the edge (so that it can be lifted at a later date). I would also have to drill holes in the tiles to gain access to the screws. Has anyone else done this? Cheers Sean

Reply to cracking and uneaven slc over concrete floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Sean Kelly

Arms
TF
Ruislip

Thread Information

Title
cracking and uneaven slc over concrete floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.