UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss cracking tiles along expantion gap ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

tiles have cracked along the expantion gap of a floor a tiled a years ago, floor is chipboard over layed with 9mm ply ( i know i used ply but rest of tiles are solid and its taken a lot of effo 007.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 012.JPG 011.JPG 003.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG 014.JPG 001.JPG rt getting the cracked ones up) primmed rear and edges and staggerd boards with expantion gap . floor had 0 deflection. any ideas ? addy was ultra spf, trowel was solid bed. only thing i can think of is the expantion gap was full of spf instead of silicone< would this be a factor ? ive took some pics for you to look at . thanks. 015.JPG

2020Tiling

Fair comment dave :thumbsup: i didnt prep floor tho, and used solid bed and back skimed, see on one of the pics the tile is fully covered and crack runs through solid bed addy on ply.so solidly fixed. totaly agree with 9mm ply being to thin, but alot of tilers i no have used it for years without any problems. fair to say i wont be using it again ... its a big learning curve which i never want to repeat . just finished redoing tiles, i put more screws in floor re cut out expantion joints that where less than 2mm ,filled with silicone scrim taped them back buttered and fixed the tiles using webber 2 part . thanks for your input fellas , onwards and upwards :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to cracking tiles along expantion gap ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm on with tiling all my downstairs rooms with 60cm x 60cm High Gloss 9mm tiles. All...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture. From floorboard to kitchen...
Replies
Views
Sid2323
S
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
cracking tiles along expantion gap ?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.