Discuss cracking tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

pat77

Hi there I am new to this forum.
In june 2014 my bathroom was retiled. Old tiles removed and replaced by Topps Tiles Lenna Grey 40 x 24cm. Two months later and they are cracking,look like inflated in the middle, craking in the edges.

Topps Tiles manager came to inspect and initially thinks it is the builder who has not followed british standards, having used a thick layer of adhesive Mapei IT Rapidset sku012354 or Wall tile sku 012352 (both in same bill), and also because we did not tile up to the ceiling, only 15 cm before, but there is a gap in last row where you can stick a pen in between wall and tile, and he alleges that water from the shower splashed through that gap into the adhesive, and probably builder has put grout inmediately after laying the tiles not allowing time for adhesive to dry properly, or not spread the adhesive evenly in tiles leaving gaps.

The cracks do not follow a line (so wall or building movement was discarded) however it mainly affects tiles from top rows, however they are above shower head (no chance water can get in between tiles and wall, only steam). I noticed that tiles inmediately above the bathtub are OK and when knocked no hollow noise. I also managed to measure the thickness of adhesive at top rows it is 5-6mm from tile to wall.

The builder is also stunned, and puts the blame in substandard tiles. He is an experienced tiler by trade.

Mapei used in bathroom was not a ready made mixture. The wall in question is a partition wall made of black blocks (1960's building). Tiles up to 1.5 mts high are ok (this is where old tiles were removed) however above this level (originally there were no tiles) tiler seems to have compensated using more adhesive and is where 80% of the problem starts. Other tiles above 1.5 in wall opossite to shower head, also hollow when knocking and over black block are OK.

Topps Tiles Customer Service said they might take a sample for investigation, but their manager said that if I take it to a small claims I would have to pay for my own investigation.

Any clues please??
Thanks

As it seems to be happening where there were no tiles originally, can we assume they were put on to a painted surface?. Even worse a" bathroom type paint" surface. if so could it be that the adhesive has "grabbed" on the back of the tile and not on the painted surface, when the adhesive dries it could in theory shrink enough to put strain on a reasonably large tile. Hope this helps.

M

mache

As it seems to be happening where there were no tiles originally, can we assume they were put on to a painted surface?. Even worse a" bathroom type paint" surface. if so could it be that the adhesive has "grabbed" on the back of the tile and not on the painted surface, when the adhesive dries it could in theory shrink enough to put strain on a reasonably large tile. Hope this helps.

Interesting thought but if the adhesive didn't grab the painted surface would there have been enough tension remaining to crack the tile??
Posted only as observer inquisitiveness, not professional input

P

pat77

Hi Peter
Yes there was bathroom painted surface above 1.5 on two walls, the wall running on the longest side of bathtub (black blocks) is where 98% of cracking tiles are,however the other wall where shower head is (concrete) also had bathroom paint above 1.5, only one tile has not cracked but has a line. The 3rd wall opposite to shower head has been covered with plaster board, has a towell radiator and no problem except for one tile that has a scratch you can see white ceramic behind.

I am trying to upload photos and video. having difficulties

P

pat77

Hi Nybor
Yes you are right. Topps Tiles manager came to inspect and also noticed the dot and dab method instead of being fully fixed by notched trowel to give a ribbed bed of adhesive. Because the wall was not level, the thickness of adhesive is 5mm, and to make matters worse, because tiles did not reach up to the ceiling, the edge on last row was not sealed (I could stick half my hand in between tiles and wall). These pockets have retained condensation and made adhesive react.

Topps Tiles good gesture is offering replacement goods.
The tiler is coming next week to remove and replace.
Besides your suggestion of standard set addy, any other? what is the best way to prepare the wall and level it?
Thanks

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to cracking tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello need some help had a new bathroom done though a builder and the tiling does not look like...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB