UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Cream rises in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

IvegotsTILE

Been speaking to a lot of different trades in my area and I have found a lot of guys have had to take on factory work due to them not getting any requests for work.
They've gone from earning £120 a day to £250 a week which they've had to do but the ones that have had to do this have shall we say not the highest standards according to all the other trades that have worked with them.
Around our area it seems the cream is rising to the top,all the good tradesmen even Brian seem to be really busy as usual.Thats one of the only decent things to come out of this recession that some of the less capable and honest tradesmen have been weeded out leaving the best which is better for the paying customer.
Have many of you found this in your area?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
that may be the case in your area, but not where i live, me, and many other time served excellent trades men are scratching round for work, i don't think ive done a full week since christmas, maybe it is a case of the area you live in, who knows, my phone just ain't ringing, the plumbers i work for are quite, so are the builders,all excellent trades men with 30 yrs plus experince, even the tile shops are dead, every time i read the local paper, some factory has shut with more jobs lost.

newbees wont last, people that are made redudant and think 'i'll take a course and be a tiler', i.m.o are commiting career suicide, at the present time, so your right there, however this is the second reccesion ive been through, and i.m.o the worst.

i'll survive on the client base ive built up, and the scraps thrown to me by the builders that realise they can't tile after all, but untill this country gets back on its feet, and the building trade comes back strong then some of us will have to just sit it out, or look at other options...

R

Rich

Loads of guys down this way are now taxi drivers but as you said, these seem to be the "Il do your tiling" guys and not tilers. It does seem to have weeded out a fair bit of the rubbish but everyone is struggling at least a little bit. One week I cant fit all the work in and then Im off for 2 weeks, I dont like working like that.

Lets hope it hurries up, weeds out all the rubbish and then gets back to to boom asap!

I

IvegotsTILE

Its right that it might depend on what area you live in,I'm not at all saying that good tradesmen aren't struggling aswell I'm sure due to the current climate that very skilled guys are finding it tough.I was just making the point that as Andy says he has a loyal client base that should hopefully see him through the tough times till things get better,some of the rougher guys will fall by the wayside as they wont get much repeat business.
Hopefully with fewer guys out there the best will find it easier to get work.
As Gary says it can sometimes be down to doing the work you want to do. I've recently done 2 houses with loads of top spec work but when I've been held up on them I've done stuff like removing a shower seat and then replacing the tiles that had screws through them,I'll take on anything as long as they're willing to have it done properly,I usually make more per day on little jobs like that that many tilers aren't willing to do.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cream rises in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

D
Replies
Views
Deleted member 57709
D
Hello everyone, new to the forum, nice to meet you. A tiler recommended to bring this question...
Replies
Views
I'm a chippy, I fit a lot of kitchens and some bathrooms, inevitably I have done quite a bit of...
Replies
Views
J
Hi, I'm currently a desk based engineer but don't particularly enjoy it and would much prefer...
Replies
Views
J
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.