Discuss Crumbling Travertine Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bewildered bub

Hi, I'm new to this, but really keen to know if anyone has purchased honed and filled travertine tiles from Tile Clearing House/Topps Tiles, as they are, I am tole, the same company??! What I need to know is, has anyone experienced tile breakage/crumbling of these tiles? Only my fitter, a lovely man called 'Shauney' has experienced awful problems with breakages whilst not only cutting these tiles but hadling them? I have moaned to the staff of Tile Clearing House (which is where I bought them from) but they maintained they have never heard the like and were almost trying to pile the blame on poor Shauney, whilst taking even more money from me to replace the breakages! Could it be that Tile Clearing House sell sub-standard travertine (it is, however, cheaper than Topps Tiles) ? Someone out there must know? Bewildered Bub.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bewildered bub

Hi Rich,
As I just told Bri, the backs of some of these tiles look like honeycomb, and the fronts are heavily filled. My tiler has been using a wet motorised cutting machine, but has had breakages by just handling them, when they dont just break, they crumble into loads of pieces! I The tile shop gave me three free replacements last week, but they continue to crumble and now they say they have never heard of this happening. I 've got a pile of broken tiles outside my front door. I wonder if the quality of the tiles from Topps Tiles are better, at aboiut £1.5o/£2 more? Thanks Rich. Bub.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As above, not the best but once they have been back skimmed and solid bed fixed, they should be OK. Problem is getting them out of the crate and cutting them without them falling apart.

I have just had the same problem with B&Q marble, mark a tile, put it on the Dewalt, switch on machine, touch the blade on the tile and wallop tile explodes, all the veins crack. I finished up grading every tile to make sure the ones with lots of veins were used as field tiles, and the more solid ones used for cuts.

As said "you get what you pay for", good luck with it:thumbsup:.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Crumbling Travertine Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello friends. I am looking for a bit of advice, you would be so kind. I have been a long...
Replies
Views
I see and hear all to often of the horror stories when someone hires a supposed tiler only to...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
uHeat and TilersForums.com go Way Back - And Continue to Partner-up to Bring You Savings on...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, new to the forum, nice to meet you. A tiler recommended to bring this question...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Crumbling Travertine Tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.