Discuss Cry for help, another possible bodge job? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

ridds

Just looking for some views on the quality of the tiling I’ve just had carried out in my bathroom.

I’m no professional and don’t pretend to be but in my eyes (which may be as a fussy customer) the quality of this work is below par.

I’ve paid PRICES REMOVED for this work and would like to hear the views of others before I shell out on having an official 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] opinion.

Before the tiling was commenced the walls re stripped and re-plaster boarded to provide a good flat surface at a cost of PRICES REMOVED.

My questions are:

· Should I expect tiles to be flatter than they are? In places there is a 1-1.5mm gap between the faces of the tiles?
· Is the tile spacing acceptable?
· Has the window reveal been completed correctly? In my eyes the tiles should been finished by covering the tiles within the reveal with the tiles on the main wall. I was given the option of butt joint or trim. I requested a butt joint but wasn’t expecting the edge of the tile to not be full colour (or full bodied as I believe it is called) or for the edge of the reveal tile to be on show into the room. Had the builder explained how they were I would have requested a trim piece.

All I have asked is that the window reveal be re-finished with a chrome trim. Is this too much to ask of them?

Images here.

1266024_10153254036145387_1117631850_o.jpg

859120_10153254036465387_1511291695_o.jpg

1292830_10153254036155387_635010553_o.jpg

1277937_10153254037070387_118966305_o.jpg

1274863_10153254037625387_1702191539_o.jpg

1236418_10153254037600387_71244306_n.jpg

1271365_10153254038105387_569954747_o.jpg

1231625_10153254038340387_133495278_n.jpg

1276775_10153254038760387_1541102826_o.jpg

15096_10153254038815387_748952896_n.jpg
1236086_10153254039405387_868474507_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

You mention the word builder.....did you see any of his previous work or any recommendations prior to taking him on?

To answer your post....the tiling appears to be of a poor quality with little attention to detail and basic mistakes. Chrome trim is simple to install and is achievable still. If you requested butt jointed and this is what you have, then there is little cause for complaint. Did the builder not advise you in detail?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Poor quality finish, no doubt about that.

If done correctly the butt joint looks fine with the correct tile and the grout joints evenly spaced. One of the problems is that you have white grout and that will always accentuate any discrepancies. I would have gone for a beige colour preference.

The tile around the window reveal is awful, not shaped around the sill and also broken and then just stuck back on, with the break clearly visible with white grout infilled.

Has the 'builder' said yes to replacing the window cuts with chrome trim??
& what's his opinion on the finish he's given you?

Did it all come as a shock at the end of the job?? or did you have any opportunity to comment or question the quality during the works?

Shame the prices have been removed, 'cos who know's, it might be one of them jobs where the bloke's done it for half the price of the going rate - if that's the case, then you've got a masterpiece for a bargain price, but if its top whack, then you definitely need to let the Builder know that you're not happy. And I hope you've not paid in full yet??

R

ridds

Thanks for the replies.

I work away during the week and the tradesman had been working on it while I'm away. I have commented 3 times that I am not happy with the finish (due to other works ongoing and issues with other items taking so long to finish) but it falls on deaf ears. No chance to review until it was finished.

The last time I brought it up (Wednesday) the guy said he would get a surveyor in and charge me for the privilege. Which wound me up a little.

As far as they are concerned they are happy with the finish so I just want to know if this is acceptable before I dispute and take it further.

This was supposed to be a "tiler" who fitted these.

The guy had an entire box of tiles spare and I've not paid in full, no.

I'll look into the beige grout, again this wasn't even mentioned as an option.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd be more than happy to have a Tile Association representative to come in and look at the job, and I'd pay for their time too. As then you'll have a document that would stand in court to sue the git with for the cost of the job AND the report.

That said; see if you can come to an arrangement where he fixed the job first.

My guess is he isn't a 'tiler' at all. Sick of seeing peoples work who claim they can tile and can't!!!!!!

T

The D

Thanks for the replies.

I work away during the week and the tradesman had been working on it while I'm away. I have commented 3 times that I am not happy with the finish (due to other works ongoing and issues with other items taking so long to finish) but it falls on deaf ears. No chance to review until it was finished.

The last time I brought it up (Wednesday) the guy said he would get a surveyor in and charge me for the privilege. Which wound me up a little.

As far as they are concerned they are happy with the finish so I just want to know if this is acceptable before I dispute and take it further.

This was supposed to be a "tiler" who fitted these.

The guy had an entire box of tiles spare and I've not paid in full, no.

I'll look into the beige grout, again this wasn't even mentioned as an option.
The last time I brought it up (Wednesday) the guy said he would get a surveyor in and charge me for the privilege. Which wound me up a little. as Doug Boardley said you get the surveyor in and charge them. the work is absolute trash so no bother there. also ask for a full method statement detailing all materials used and the method of fixing.

It dose not mater that he is happy with the job lol he is not paying for it. You are the only person that has to be happy with the job as you are paying for it.

there is a thing called British Standards institute 5385.1:2009 Wall and floor tiling Design and installation of ceramic, natural stone and mosaic wall tiling in normal internal conditions. Code of practice. ask your man if he has his copy and if he has not got one ask him to what standard dose his work conform.

By the way your grout looks like standard grout and yourtiles look like porcelain if they are the grout should have been polymermodified. If they were plaster walls they should have been primed with a suitableacrylic primer (not PVA) and theadhesive should have been modified cement based. And the method of fixingshould have been solid bed in any wet areas. Just so you know what his answersshould be

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Cry for help, another possible bodge job? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
We had our kitchen tiled last week and we're not at all happy with the work. The tiles aren't...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
I'm currently dealing with the contractor from hell who has ruined job after job in my house...
Replies
Views
I am in the process of creating my tiling job in 3d in sketchup. Please can members help me copy...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB