Discuss Curling Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cowgomoo

Good Morning Everyone,

got a bit of a weird one for you all - I tiled for many years but am now off the tools and running a tile showroom.

We recently supplied some 907 x 907 full bodied porcelain tiles - 12mm thick - for a kitchen floor project. We have supplied 100's of meters of these over this year.

They were laid last week, checked for flatness before laying, and all tickety boo and all happy.

Client to site Monday and not happy with install and tiler called to site and the edges of the tiles appear to have curled up leaving lipping.

Water fed UFH present but not commissioned at time of laying as rads not in - these installed over weekend and heating turned on for short time = not left on overnight.

Has anyone had any experience of this problem before, I spoke with TTA and they are scratching their heads and just thought I'd put it out there to see whats what before I visit tomorrow for a looksee.

Tiles are made in Spain by a renowned maker - not sure if I can say who here.

If anyone has any thoughts I would be most grateful.

Cow.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Manchester
I had to replace some tiles in a house Samir Nasri was renting of one of my clients, I got a call saying the tiles are curling and loose....I've never seen owt like it in my life how he hadn't cut his feet or gone a#se over t#t and broke ties I don't know. The tiles had curled half an inch, every one over about three sq metres area, there was a leak on a waste pipe and the water was running under the tiles and the underfloor heating which was constantly on full was heating the waste water....the tiles were a 600x300 silestone which I was informed shouldn't be used on underfloor heating, how true that is I don't know as the original floor install wasn't done by me.

C

cowgomoo

Thats what I thought also ! will add to this thread what I found when I got there.

I went to the site yesterday and the first thing I saw was a hole in the tiled floor where a tile had been with a dozen fat dabs on the floor - some of which were loose.

Tiling was an absolute joke, no curling going on but barely one level with another with massive lips as if a large person had had a walk around on it whilst still wet. Client is a really lovely person and it was hard to tell her that the whole lot was coming up and will need to restart but she was very sanguine about it.

Two bathrooms done also and although looking great were both dot and dab jobs - no UFH though.

I was only there to comment on the tile curling = not present = and discreetly mentioned she should search " dot and dab" on the internet, it transpires there will be a full site meeting on Monday and I think we can all guess whats top of the agenda !

Cow.

C

cowgomoo

Where are they getting these tilers (allegedly) who know there trade.
Hey Whitebeam, I really don't know - it is an age old problem. I direct people to this site and to the Tile Association. Many people take "tilers" supplied by their builders and escalates down from there.

Just to finish this thread, more of the same tiles were supplied to complete this job and more ordered for another area so no curling !! Thank God for that.

Merry Christmas to you and to everyone at this Forum - an invaluable resource.

Cow.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Curling Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I will soon be installing the Wunda EPS 400 UFH boards in my own kitchen, approx 50m2...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB