Discuss Current trends? My own bathroom! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

wagglerman

Boys (and girls),

I will be tiling my own bathroom soonish. I was thinking largish tiles floor to ceiling, border above halfway with the odd feature tile in upper half something sandstone/beige colour. Floor tiled with same width tiles so grout in line but darker shade, UFH. What are the current trends if any? Is this a bit dated? What are you lot laying at present?

Cheers in advance

:cheers2:

P

Pawelzik

... thinking largish tiles floor to ceiling, border above halfway...sandstone/beige colour. Floor tiled with same width tiles so grout in line but darker shade, UFH. What are the current trends if any?...

Floor tiles 400x400 cotto colours, laid diagonal. Wall tiles 600x300 creamy colours, borders horizontal AND vertical to interrupt the rectengular bathroom geometry. Mosaic often from Bisazza with colour near to the floor tiles. Borders sometimes natural stone with stainless steel pieces. And indirect halogen spots, less lamps next to the mirror. Martin:yinyang:

G

Grace'sDad

Hmmm, tough one this.

I'm quite proud of my bathroom. I would decribe it as retro-kitsch.

Attachments

• greenbathroom.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 65
G

Grace'sDad

Sorry Wagglerman! Didn't mean to hijack your thread by being stupid with the green bathroom! :lol:

Right; I find I am laying a lot of 600x300 porcelain in cream / brown / pale grey. Normally with a simple matching border, say 150x600 put in higher than usual at around head height. Same tiles normally specified for floors.

These contemporary designs look good IMO but will date easily.
(which is good for us as people will replace sooner:thumbsup:)

Personally I've gone for tumbled travertine 150x150 in my own bathroom.
3/4 up on 3 walls, same tiles on floor with UFH. Capped off the tiles with a dado type travertine tile. Untiled walls can then be decorated and changed easily and cheaply. I reckon natural stones looks great whatever you do with the rest.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I love the vertical borders, I'd shy away from individual motifs, and I'd even avoid a horizontal border myself too I think these days. I'd use mosaics and stones and they'd be large and small. Perhaps large on the floor but brick-fashion and not so large but not so small on the walls with a thin but bold mosaic / pencil strip combo border - you know the sort - three mosaics or so wide with a 10 - 15mm pencil strip either side it - sweeeeeeeet.

I'd consider colour by the amount of light in the room. Dark tile is smart in a room with lots of light, though light tile is a must in a room with little light, so that's where the bold border would come in.

And I'd obviously be using underfloor heating, probably that bought by www.floorheating.ltd.uk.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Current trends? My own bathroom! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
C
Hi folks! Ok, this is my first post so please be gentle. In this post Im looking more for...
Replies
Views
Carl Morrison
C
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB