Discuss curved wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

harold

curved wall

hi all

a friend has asked me to tile a curved wall around a bath for him. the wall is a stud wall with 2 sheets of either 6 or 9 mm ply screwed to it. i was going to seal/tank this with a shower tanking kit from tile giant and then tile with mosaics.

the problem seems to be that when the tiles are laid onto the curve the grout lines close up to nearly nothing. this happens with the smallest mosaics!

is there any way around having to cut up the mosaic sheets into single lengths and set them on the wall individually. this would take forever!!!:mad2:

any help or advice would be much appreciated.

thanx

H

harold

it is an internal curve. its probably about a 1500mm radius but not sure, i'll try call in tomorrow and measure it.
the mosaics he's looked at are mesh backed. they've not been bought yet.
what other option is there rather than ply and could this be fixed over top of ply as i don't think ply can be removed as bath is built into walls.
i'll try and post some pics up tommorow so you can see the problems.

B

Barry bp

Image0074.jpg P2100031.jpg
Here are pics of 6mm flex ply the internal one i tanked inside shower mosaic tiles stress the least amount used opf addy never had issue the radius is the issue internal curves create more problems if you want equal spacing it is very time consuming:mad2:But dont worry about ply with mosaic:thumbsup:

B

Barry bp

Sorry Barry, I would'nt give ply at that thickness house room in any part of the house even if was tanked IMO

Whitebeam I agree tiling on ply in larger areas especialy with larger tiles is a no no,but you can see from pics all is well if you could see the curves in the flesh and tap them they are rock solid no moisture can get behind or at the front mosaic tiles stress far far less than larger tiles far more stable. On a tight external curve i can get a better smoother surface I also reinforce ply from behind.By the way i get my Motolit today hopefully all the best Baz

Reply to curved wall in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
curved wall
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.