UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss customer callback in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stevee

hiya lads ,long time since i posted ,but here go`s

been going 3 and a half years now and had my first callback regarding blown CERAMIC tiles,which has cheesed me right off

kitchen floor , green chipboard flooring,overboarded with 12mm wbp ply screwed 6 inches,then primed

loose wire heating ,no slc,tiled onto with topps trade rapidset flexi 18 months ago

9 months ago customer calls me to tile his bathroom floor,while there pricing it ,he mentioned a tile strating to lift in the kitchen,i looked and he said ,"i know u warned us the existing c/b floor wasnt great"

and we left it at that, now 2 days ago ,an email from him 2 tiles have blown,one cracked

im going to look on sunday and am prepared for a costly outcome for me...........

but a bit of advice would be welome befre hand please boys

how will i tell if its thermal shock from heating on too soon?

and where do i stand legally ,im preparing myself for cost of tiles,ufh and return of my fee if its my fault

im hoping it aint ,cos its not the whole floor.....thanks lads

C

charlie1

Hi stevie, I have tiled on to heatmat once without slc and once was enough, I just can't see how you can get the right coverage doing it this way + its very messy! Don't accept liability so quickly, there are many reasons why it could have failed that are out with your control, could there have been a leak? Also you mention you have alerted customer to dodgy subfloor?... What did you say to them at the time? ... I know when its verbal its all worth nothing anyway but we have all heard the sob stories from customers in the past " can you not just do it bla bla" then you end up doing it for them knowing its not ideal

S

stevee

right ive been and had a tile up today, 2 thirds of the floor has cracking grout,one third is fine

lifted a tile ,which didnt want to come easy[topps rapidset flexi]

i think its movement in the floor ,which i didnt think was as bad when i jumped up and down next to a glass water,when quoting

the addy seems to have come away near ply joints,awway from joints its stuck good on tile and ply,not just one or the other, warmup loose wire ,with their own green primer

im taking the whole floor up next week,and am probably gonna have to fork out over £700

i was hoping for thermal shock signs ,not that anyones going to admit to bad commisioning anyway

DAVE , u asked if it was onto joists , be interesed to hear yours or anyones views mate

im gonna takit on the chin ,[18 months into my career at the time] and put it down to expierence i reckon

Attachments

• P9060011.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 73
  • P9060010.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 76
D

DHTiling

This is why i do not like tiling direct to ply... too much cheap ply in the uk market and it can leach resin and this results in tiles de-bonding... you can see on pic 2 where the ply grain is embedded into the adhesive but de-bonded.. this is typical of cheap ply and UFH...

IMO you need to use a cement board to get a better bond... cover the UFH in SLC suitable for timber floors and then solid bed fix onto that.. making sure you back skim those tiles as well to create solid bed..

S

stevee

well on my last visit the customer was happy for me to redo the tiling ,after floor strengthening,but i told him no thanks.......once bitten
i told him id refund money too.
today i went to rip it all up and i found a water damaged area near to where the first cracked grout showed itself
looks like a fair bit of water sat there for a while,but they have told me absoluotly no washing machine or waste pipe leaks,which i find hard to swallow
heres the pics boys, showing underside ply and chipboard

so im not happy to refund all the money,ill contact him tonight

Attachments

• P9130018.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 66
  • P9130017.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 70
  • kk 008.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 76
  • kk 007.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 67
S

stevee

i agree ,thats why i could still owe him but maybe not the full amount,washing machine and sink right there
just had another look ,i cut a channel in the ply to recess the probe ,its black as yer hat with mould ,its been sitting in a pool of water
if the leak occurred soon after fixing it wouldnt help
also would the probe give a lower reading in water ,in turn making them raise the temp?
wriggling out of stuff aint my scene ,just dont want to take all the flack if it aint mine,steve

Attachments

• P9.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited by a moderator:
P

Peter

Looks like the water damage didn't help, but IMO flexible rapidset on it's own isn't suitable for that particular job. If tiling straight onto 18mm ply on the joists, bare minimum spec for me would be rubber crumb throughout and all joints taped. Had a few small, seemingly deflection free floors give problems in the past (tiles over joins popping) so now always overboard or use rubber crumb.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

well on my last visit the customer was happy for me to redo the tiling ,after floor strengthening,but i told him no thanks.......once bitten
i told him id refund money too.
today i went to rip it all up and i found a water damaged area near to where the first cracked grout showed itself
looks like a fair bit of water sat there for a while,but they have told me absoluotly no washing machine or waste pipe leaks,which i find hard to swallow
heres the pics boys, showing underside ply and chipboard

so im not happy to refund all the money,ill contact him tonight
if you dont tile the whole floor only where the washing machine goes if this leaks it fills the void between ever side before it shows on the floor if whole floor tiled it comes out at your feet and can be delt with there and then not stay hidden making its way under the floor

Reply to customer callback in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi I have ordered the Wunda Rapid Response underfloor heating for my kitchen. We were going...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.