Discuss Customer won't pay up.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I know exactly what you are going through stusgsx. Same thing happened to me a few months back. I had my phone on redial and hounded the bloke every day. I was phoning his shop, mobile and I even tracked down his home number (the power of the internet!) I was even ringing him at 21:00, but he was always out! His poor Wife had to put up with my ranting about my money. I think she must have put the pressure on him to pay up! He did in the end. Hopefully your next update will be a positive one. Good luck.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
The only problem with small claims court, is if they know their stuff, you won't ever see a penny! Seen it a couple of times now.. You win your case, the judge says they have to pay, but the money never comes!?! Our legal system is a joke!
As above, go round and talk to them in person, if for no other reason than to see if there's a problem that they can use against you in court. Good luck with it mate ;)

If you're going SCC then be prepared to get baliffs in. Don't just accept judgement. I mean im usually happy knowing i have put a CCJ against there names. But i'd still want my money.
I'm going through an issue like this at the moment which iim pretty confident not only will i get the ammount due but i've also asked for a resonable ammount of compensation as well. Not sure if i'll get the compo, although i can put a very very good argument forward as to why i should be granted it. Regardless, people like this make my blood boil.

One way or the other they will pay. Get the courts to enforce the debt and they'll send baliffs round for you.I think some of these people are not fussed other there credit score, experian report or anything like that. When big, bald Barry steps in their house and lifts there 50" LED from the wall as part payment. Then they take notice.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
For what it's worth I've had another think about how I could use a website to list customers who haven't paid and the only way I could think is to be too open with it all. Perhaps by listing the full details of the job, the agreed quote (signed where possible), the time quoted, the time it took, the suppliers involved/used costings and everything and then give the customer a chance to respond etc

But. I think it could make the right guy look wrong and go against your reputation a bit. And it could bring your contacts / suppliers into it too etc

Not sure that's the win:win type of website that I like to setup. So back to the drawing board.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Would still need to log initially the customers name and address. So dpa applies. So if they request all details held, we have to give them to the customer. So I'd want as much detail as possible. And it's too much really.

I was playing devils advocate with myself and sort of being the customer and what if my nan and mum died and I just wasn't contactable due to that. And all of a sudden I'm listed on a website as a bad payer.... For example.

Or I was listed by a trader even though I had paid? How do I get the trader to prove I hadn't paid cash?

You're bordering on an unjust way of dealing with people. A court is the only real legal way to prove it.

That then lead me to think about ways traders can already check for credit of customers. But how many would be out off by that? A signed credit check form thing as if you're taking out a contract phone, but at the quote stage.

Waaaaaay too many bad angles for this IMO. Needs loads more thought.

S

stusgsx

Well... My **** boiled yesterday!
I got a response to my court letter!
It basically read: The reason we are contesting this payment is because it was clear you didn't want to do the job and from what I can see there's not 2 days work there and I think you only used 1 bag of adhesive so why are you charging us for 3. And What you did do was a mess so we are glad you did not come back! It also states I refused to go back which is true because the floor was not tileable!
They then said they are happy to pay me £75 for the 2 days inc materials or see you in court.
I probably shouldn't of but I responded saying that's an insult and you can keep your money.
Yes I am angry about it and would love to take them to court but I really could do without the stress at the moment and I know my mrs will get stressed over it as she thinks they will come and slash our tyres etc.
Obviously you guys don't know if I did a good job on the walls but this customer is only 5 miles from me and the last thing I would do is poo on my doorstep.
Funny how it took them 5 months to say they weren't happy

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
stusgsx, now that you have had time to calm down from the insulting offer I would send another letter stating that £75 for two days labour inc. materials would not be deemed reasonable compensation for work carried out, and that you are quite happy to take this to the law courts. However, you are (only if you are) prepared to accept 1 days labour plus the cost of materials as final settlement of the matter. I only say this because you are willing to walk away from £75...........I would 'No Deal' on this offer and hope the 'Banker' (exchange the B for a W !!) would increase his offer. I fully understand your reasons about car tires and reputation etc. Cheers Sean

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Customer won't pay up.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I recently carried out work on tiling a fireplace for customer. I took my time and got the...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB