Discuss Cutting and grouting unfilled travertine mosaic in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rsb123

Is there any trick to cutting this type of tile -- 48x98mm in 305mm square sheets (yes, I'm using a electric wet saw).
mosaic.jpg
What is the technique for grouting this kind of tile so that you keep the grout out of the little holes in the tile itself?

Substrate is a solid (external facing) bathroom wall (not wet area) which currently has ceramic tile which ill be removed.

Trowel notch depth?

And finally, is Mapei Keraflex Maxi (slow set) OK to use as an adhesive or is a rapid set better?

thanks gents

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shorty8

I normally just use a 4 inch angle grinder to cut travertine its a bit dusty but just cut it outside or have a vac handy to catch the dust, if you don`t want the holes filled on the face just point the joint but it would be easier to fill the holes, i would recommend a 6mm notch trowel any deeper and the adhesive would start to come through the joints, regarding the adhesive you will be best using a slow set adhesive as it gives you more time to work with it.

R

Rich

I agree, would be much easier (and IMO better) to grout the holes in at the same time. What colour grout are you going for? As above regarding the adhesive. I would try a 4mm trowel, press a sheet of Mosaics back into the adhesive then pull them off and see what the coverage is like, you should be ok to use a 6mm if you need to as, I assume, the trav is 10mm thick.

On another note, you will want to work really cleanly, keep at bucket of clean water next to you as you work and wipe off any adhesive from the face of the tile straight away :thumbsup:

R

Rich

Grout is Mapei Ultracolor Vanilla with matching Mapesil AC Vanilla sealant for perimiter/change in plane. Bit nervous as the grout is not a spot-on match to the tile colour, but I just don't want bright white grout.

Yes tile is 10mm thick.

I assume no back-buttering necessary for mosaic sheets right?

Did you look through all the colours that they do in Ultracolor? They do 26, you can usually find a pretty good match to the stone. White looks horrid with trav IMO. No you shouldn't need to back butter them, you might want to spread the adhesive with the teeth of youe trowel and then smooth them over using the flat side of the trowel to give a really good coverage behind the tile. Also I use a grout float to press the tiles back, the last thing you want is to have one or two that dont stick.

G

Gazzer

Grout is Mapei Ultracolor Vanilla with matching Mapesil AC Vanilla sealant for perimiter/change in plane. Bit nervous as the grout is not a spot-on match to the tile colour, but I just don't want bright white grout.

Yes tile is 10mm thick.

I assume no back-buttering necessary for mosaic sheets right?

Isnt vanilla a bit yellow for Travertine? Usually Jasmine, beige or the new Limestone colour :thumbsup:

S

Stef

What do u use now? we have always used Bal because we know its a quality product, use mapei back & forth as i have said but u get good technical backup with Bal also, if we are doing floors then we know with rapidset/flex that if its a porcelain tile then with porcelbond in the adhesive we dont need 2 worry about bonding issues, wee spot of GT1 in the grout 4 porcelain on walls & jobs a good un!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Cutting and grouting unfilled travertine mosaic in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Last Dec tiled a small conservatory (13m) with 600mm porcelain tiles. Prior to tiling another...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Cutting and grouting unfilled travertine mosaic
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.