Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Cutting Porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

ap222

Hello all, I'm about to tile my bathroom with 670mm by 350mm glazed ( smooth) porcelain tiles.

Just deciding on which type of tile cutter to go for.

Was thinking about the following cutters:

1- QEP/Vitrex manual pro700 cutter which comes with a 22mm titanium coated tungsten carbide 22mm wheel.
2- Vitrex Versitile power pro 900 Diamond wet saw.

Has anyone had any experience with any of the above?

I am more inclined towards the manual cutter, as the tiles are smooth, but having said that I'm not sure if the carbide scoring wheel can cut the tiles.

Any guidance appreciated.

Many thanks

M

marty the tiler

sigms cuttiers only work on scribe n snap what i use for nonn straight cuts is a dewalt grinder with a good porcelain blade the reason i use dewalt is they tend to have more rpm which means the grinder runs alot quicker than most grinders as inturn cut nicer and on the scribed edge of tile a bit of wet and dry will fix the edge i have big wet saws but with porc u rarely need anything else ihope this has helped u good luck most of all dont panic cheers

R

richard Kent

Hi AP
I have both the 750 and the 900, firstly the vitrex 750, I changed the blade to a marcrist and have cut 10mm porcelain with it. Nice saw for under £100. The arber on the 750 is reversable 19mm or 22mm, I tend to use this one a lot more than the 900.

The Vitrex 900 is very heavy (proberbly the reason I tend to leave it in the garage)
the arber on the 900 is 22mm I did change the blade to a marcrist as well, to do so requires a 25.4 to 22mm ruducing shime ( If you check the other Vitrex thread there is a link on where to buy one)
I did have a problem of chiping on the off cut of tile, but was informed by one the other members on here that it was proberbly the fence being out of square to the blade.

A

ap222

Is this a job you are doing for yourself?

Yes, just completed a total renovation of my Bathroom, including a wet floor, ready for tiling.

I'm just on the look out for a decent porcelain dry cutter, Sigma is well out of my reach!
I initially thought to go for the Vitrex 700, but having email vitrex, the've advised me to go for their wet cutter instead, cos its better at cutting porcelain. I'm not too sure...
changing the vitrex blade to marcrist is a handy tip.

My tiles are 12mm thick, and now trying to stretch the budget and considering the rubi tx-700-N or a Montolit Masterpiuma 75. I want to the job properly, and I have read a lot of different opinions on which tile cutter is good.

A

ap222

Hi AP
I have both the 750 and the 900, firstly the vitrex 750, I changed the blade to a marcrist and have cut 10mm porcelain with it. Nice saw for under £100. The arber on the 750 is reversable 19mm or 22mm, I tend to use this one a lot more than the 900.

The Vitrex 900 is very heavy (proberbly the reason I tend to leave it in the garage)
the arber on the 900 is 22mm I did change the blade to a marcrist as well, to do so requires a 25.4 to 22mm ruducing shime ( If you check the other Vitrex thread there is a link on where to buy one)
I did have a problem of chiping on the off cut of tile, but was informed by one the other members on here that it was proberbly the fence being out of square to the blade.
Thanks for the tip Richard. I wasn't so sure it would live upto cutting 12mm porcelains, so thinking of biting the bullet an invest in tx-700n or Monty 75. I will see it as an investment as it will come to use again in the future with more projects.

A

ap222

What adhesive are you thinking of using, are these tiles straight onto plasterboard?
:thumbsup:

Hi Diamond,

I'm going to be using Mapei keraquick rapid set flexible tile adhesive, and the tiles will be going onto Marmox waterproof boards. Ive practically covered the entire walls, ceiling & floor of the bathoom with marmox, reinforced all board joins with grp tape and also tanked all joins with mapei wps tanking membrane.
had plasterboard before renovation, and it was damp in places especially behind the shower wall, so decided to opt for marmox. Definetely worth it IMO.

Reply to Cutting Porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Beginner DIY Tiler, I'm contemplating drilling (with ceramic tile carbide tipped drill bits)...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope you can help. I'm get despondent cutting 9mm glazed porcelain tiles, 300 x 900mm...
Replies
Views
Seeking ideas for filling in a cut-out section of a porcelain tile floor. I removed a display...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Thank you for allowing me to join the forum. I'm replacing the toilet hand basin...
Replies
Views
Im going to be tiling my shower room walls and floor with some large format tiles as per the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Cutting Porcelain tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.