Discuss daft question but can't find a answer in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

reeves1985

Been searching for a answer to this all day but have come up short

Being a plasterer but never really delved into the tiling world but in the process of re doing my own bathroom I have always wondered what the difference is between the tanking tape used with liquid applied tanking systems and the fibre scrum tape that us plasterers use?

Is there a difference and if so can someone explain what the differences are

It may be a daft question and have a really stupid answer but I guess if you don't ask you never find out

R

reeves1985

Oh and the op should have read scrim tape not scrum doh!

Yeah it just seems silly to use something that costs if I can use something I already have

My perceived idea was to basically use the scrim tape bedded in with either drylining joint cement or waterproof addy then use the tanking liquid to tank the wall

As the jointing compound covers the scrim which will in turn reinforced the joints then the tanking waterproofs the whole wall

As you can tell because of my trade and having discounts it will essentially be tanked platerboard (I know some people's opinions differ on this ) but that's my plan ish

R

reeves1985

I agree and fair point
The point I'm asking or trying to find out is

A properly taped and jointed wall will correct tapes and products should in effect become a single solid wall which theoretically can then be tanked using the tanking paint?
I affect just like tanking a skimmed wall?

I'm not saying I'm right I'm just trying to be educated by you fellas and ask what some may see as daft questions just like when people ask me if they can skim a wall with filler because it's cheaper for them lol

In addition to my op I am also open to the option of using matting like homelux

My install is basically a shower above bath Fed from a combi so not a great area to cover
I know I'm diverging away from my op but just filling in the background info

T

Time's Ran Out

Some say there is no daft questions and this is no daft question (that's reserved for another member).
I'd use scrim for a jointing tape on boards with tile adhesive but only use the proprietary tape recommended for tanking, no other reason than for guarantee - which they would still no doubt decline. But by taking stage photos and keeping notes you are protecting yourself.
The best bit of the membrane type of tanking is any cracking/movement happens behind. So as long as the joins are taped that's job done - hopefully.
Good luck.

Tried a few different types of tanking system before taking the new tilemaster tanking kit into stock, we had previously sold the weber rubber tape. i find that the TM reinforced (and it is reinforced, it is actually quite flexible) tape sits better into the corners than the rubber type of tape.

Personal choice i guess. But i wouldnt say the TM tape was normal plasterers scrim tape.

R

reeves1985

Tried a few different types of tanking system before taking the new tilemaster tanking kit into stock, we had previously sold the weber rubber tape. i find that the TM reinforced (and it is reinforced, it is actually quite flexible) tape sits better into the corners than the rubber type of tape.

Personal choice i guess. But i wouldnt say the TM tape was normal plasterers scrim tape.

Thanks fellas food for thought
I like to take my time but the Mrs wants it finished yesterday so need to get a wriggle on with it

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to daft question but can't find a answer in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views
R
Hi all, Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm really stuck with what...
Replies
Views
Richard Nessbert
R
J
Hi, I'm currently a desk based engineer but don't particularly enjoy it and would much prefer...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all,just to introduce myself,Iam Micho,tiler from Croatia/Serbia,with EU passport.I have been...
Replies
Views
Simon benn Leeds
S
M
Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB