Discuss Day 3 - So what's that bit for? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Day 3 - So what's that bit for? Discussion ThreadDay 3 - So what's that bit for? Electrical Advice

Well, this wasn't going to be my day 3 subject but today has been a long day and time is short.

At power stations electricity is generated at one voltage then stepped up for distribution. The generator output is usually around 21kV. National Grid distribute at either 275kV or 400kV. DNOs go up to a maximum of 132kV. So, the generated voltage has to be stepped up to the distribution voltage. This is done via a (bloody big) transformer. So, how does then generator connect to the transformer? Big busbars! As I hadn't planned this post I'm a bit short on good pictures but this is a busbar :-
[ElectriciansForums.net] Day 3 - So what's that bit for? To give an idea of size those supports are around a foot long.
How do these connect to the transformer? Flexible braids :-
[ElectriciansForums.net] Day 3 - So what's that bit for?
All those connections have to be cleaned, Contact grease (known as baby ----) applied, torqued and then ductored. Each joint must have a resistance of 10 micro ohms or less.
Well, that's just the basics. Time is getting on so I'll end it here for now. I'll take some better photos and carry on with this thread soon.

Day 3 - So what's that bit for? for the original thread on Electricians Forums

Reply to Day 3 - So what's that bit for? Electrical Advice in the Electrical Advice area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Lou

Staff member
Esteemed
Admin
Staffordshire
Website
https://www.TilersForums.com
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)
Business Name
TilersForums.com

Thread Information

Title
Day 3 - So what's that bit for? Electrical Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Electrical Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
None

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond