UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Deposits. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

Did a quote for a tiling job about a month ago which was excepted..Job was booked in to start on Monday next week, got a text from the customer today to say the had got a cheaper price and they were going with that price and thanked me for my time! :thumbsdown: Tried to call them straight back but no answer. This was a 10 day job so was a bit annoyed about this but managed to bring a few things forward. Time to start taking deposits on larger jobs i think to try and stop this. :thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
It is something I would consider but there are pros and cons to it I guess.

With bigger jobs I'd be keeping in touch with the customer more often "right so your tiles and adhesives have come in I'll go to pick them up for you" type thing a few days before. If they've already got all that, then those are probably the types of customers that will feel they can cancel the day before.

You could have some terms in your quote that state cancellations must be 7 days prior to the job start date, anything after that period will incur a % charge or a fixed fee to cover lost days at work.

D

dave l and l

i would go round to there house to let them express my annoyance to them and to let them know they have cost you time and money,
it has happened to me before and i was fortunate enough to move jobs too, however if i had been relying on the money for something i would not have been at all impressed at all.
the deposit idea is good i like to take one whenever i can or when i am supplying tiles as i wouldnt like to take the hit if something happens

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I would never buy tiles for a domestic customer. I'd order them and tell them to call the shop to pay, and I'd collect when they come in. Then they can't cancel without getting the tiles off you first.

I'd never be out of my own pocket though for a customer. Even if I was making a few quid on the tiles they'd still have to pay the shop directly.

T

tfs

It is realy frustrating when someone does this type of thing, whilst they are in the rights to do so they should realy have shopped around before booking you in to do the job. I dont think peeps realise the affects this has on a sole trader/ one man band.

I take a booking and materials deposit of 20% for all my sash window work. The average job value is around £2000 so this deposit ensures that they are serious as well as covers intial costs to cover some materials and ensures a start date for them etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
If I am supplying the tiles I ALWAYS get the full amount and the cheque cleared before I order the tiles. It shows commitment from the customer and they are less likely to go elsewhere once they have parted with their hard earned.

When I do kitchens I always get 50% deposit on the whole job which more than covers the materials. When you're talking about £thousands you cannot afford to be left out of pocket. When you work for yourself cash-flow is the most important thing in my opinion. Once it gets out of hand there's only one direction you are heading.

I used to dread asking for a deposit but it has become second nature now.

M

MPM

In ten years never took a deposit untill three weeks ago on a £4,000.00 job only took it because i was unsure about the client abillity to pay as insurance was involved, client has been brilliant and has paid in full. I can say that in ten years I can only recall 1 cancellation. While I understand the hastle it has caused you, think of the problems you could have faced if you did the work as from my experience with penny pinchers they want the earth. good luck with filling in the time, and enjoy your tiling.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Deposits. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I am planning to tile bathroom with large porcelain tiles 1200x600 over water-resistant backer...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.