Discuss Desperately seeking answers! Ceramic versus Porcelain for Bathroom? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Oh, Janey, why are you attempting this job yourself? Is the bathroom tanked? Would you strong enough to mix the necessary cement adhesive by yourself, presumingly without a paddle mixer? 600x600 tiles are large and heavy, how would you be attempting to cut them?

Just throwing a few pertinent questions your way, as your lack of adhesive knowledge makes me assume that this job might really be tricky for you and potentially one of those DIY disasters you really wouldn't want. Please do consider getting a professional in, you can ask for help with finding someone in your area on this forum. :)

U

user123

Many thanks for your quick reply - much appreciated. The tiler that stipulated not to go large has over 20yrs experience and i did find it odd that he is restricting the size of tile i can use.
Not sure why he would say this!

Would porcelain be better for a shower enclosure or does it not matter?

The tiler will be assuming you will use tubbed ready mixed adhesive, which is the DIY choice but the wrong choice, this adhesive needs air to dry properly. Smaller tiles wiht more groutlines allow more air to get to the adhesive, but also more damp... this is a longer subject really, and it is late, but to approach this job with ready mixed tubbed would be a very poor choice, trust me :)

J

JaneyB

Hi Mosaic Girl,

Thanks for your replies.
Good Heavens, no, I AM NOT attempting this project myself! I have asked my tiler for a quote and he is the one restricting the size of tile i can go for!! He does not want me to have 600x600 or porcelain tiles.
Is it really a lot of extra effort to mix cement based adhesive? Do you think he wants an easy job with 300x300 tiles and ready made adhesive?

U

user123

Hi Mosaic Girl,

Thanks for your replies.
Good Heavens, no, I AM NOT attempting this project myself! I have asked my tiler for a quote and he is the one restricting the size of tile i can go for!! He does not want me to have 600x600 or porcelain tiles.
Is it really a lot of extra effort to mix cement based adhesive? Do you think he wants an easy job with 300x300 tiles and ready made adhesive?

Aahh, sorry, Janey, I misunderstood. Well, in that case it sounds that tiler is a cowboy with 20 years cowmuck experience!!! Shocking... no, for a 'proper' tiler the types of tiles used should make no difference and he should have the necessary tools to mix up adhesives and grouts! A ridiculous attitude from a tiler, don't let him near your walls! Really.

D

Daz

Any decent tiler will be able to advise the correct preparation and adhesive needed to ensure a perfect job. The information may not be the cheapest solution, but it will be the safest.

As has been mentioned above, you will need a cement based adhesive and depending on the weight of the tiles you may require tile backer boards as the wall substrate.

The tile size does not matter, it is just the fixing method that needs to change.

Daz

D

Daz

Hi Janey,

I always get that cold shiver when a client says "I've had the walls freshly plastered". This usually means "skimmed" and that doesn't necessarily mean flat over a 2m span.

If you wish to have 60 x 60 tiles, the walls really must be flat across a min 2m span. If the walls have only been skimmed and not flattened then there may be a requirement for additional preparation work otherwise you will experience poor adhesive coverage under the tiles and possible "lippage" which will ruin the overall finish.

Plaster will only support 20kg per sqm (bearing in mind that adhesive and grout represents 4kg per sqm) so porcelain tiles may be too heavy which is why I suggest that tile backer boards mechanically fixed to the walls may be a better substrate.

I'm not sure if Russ is close to you (View Profile: grumpygrouter - tilersforums.com | Tile Forums | Tiling Forum). It will be worth contacting him if he is fairly local to you.

Regards,

Daz

J

JaneyB

Arrragggh, i should probably stick to what the tiler said to me....300x300! LOL!
When i say 'freshly plastered' i mean that new plasterboards have been replaced totally on all walls etc. (green waterproof boards have been used).
I did not realise that there would be so much to it and i have never heard of tile backer boards, so i will bear that in mind. What a great forum this is and so glad i found it. Regards,

U

user123

I feel a bit better since i found my answers now...thanks to you all who have replied.
Mosaic Girl...you are absolutely right... this tiler is ridiculous!
I live in Highland, Scotland- IV2 post-code and looking for a wall and floor tiler for my bathroom.

Can admin put this in the tilers wanted forum, please? :) or actually, you can post it there yourself, Janey, for more people to see, and then check with admin that you found yourself a good one, whoever replies :thumbsup: Especially have a look at the red and green badges on the individual profiles.

http://www.tilersforums.com/im-looking-wall-floor-tiler/

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Daz

Y
Hi Janey, before you dismiss your tiler, he may well be giving you the correct advice albeit in a roundabout way. I would imagine a 600x600mm tile would well exceed the maximum weight allowance for plastered walls.
So a smaller tile would be more appropriate.

Remember that the weight limits are based on per square metre. It doesn't matter whether the tile is 600 x 600 or 50 x 50mm.

Daz

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Desperately seeking answers! Ceramic versus Porcelain for Bathroom? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Dear Tilers, my husband has done a lot of tiling, but would really like your advice please. He...
Replies
Views
I have been researching this for days and need some help. My garage has a concrete floor. I live...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a homeowner living in the Metro Vancouver area in British Columbia. I am currently...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB