Discuss Diary of an idiot tiler in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TilingIdiot

So today me and the Mrs decided it's about time to get our bathroom sorted. We moved into a glasgow tenemant flat about a year ago and now we have a bit of spare cash to continue renovating. Usually I know my limits with DIY and will get a porfessional in when I need one but im really keen to give this one a bash on my own and with the help of people on the forum.

With most Glasgow tenemants you're limited with what you can do in terms of layout as they all tend to be long and narrow. Ours is a bit wider than most but still not ideal.

Anyway, So we've chosen our tiles:

Floor - Polished white/cream porcelain 60x60
Polished Porcelain Bianco 59 | Topps Tiles

Wall - Everstone Botticino 30x60 -(chinese tiles, not convinced about quality but look the part) - £35ish per square metre

Mosaic behind shower, toiler - Lignum Scuro Walls and Floors Tiles -Wall Tiles, Mosaic Effect Tiles, Venis (Tile Factory), Wood Effect Tiles, Bathroom Tiles - Lignum tiles - Lignum Scuro tiles - 333x200mm

Before I go on, any feedback on this tile choice would be welcomed.

Anyway, So I started taking the old tiles off the main wall which tore the underlying plasterboard off with them. Bugger. Up at B&Q next day and carted back some new sheets of plasterboard.

The plan today is refix the plasterboard that was damaged and work our way round taking more of the tiles of and repairing the plasterboard as we go.

Before I start the actual tiling I have a few questions.

1) Is plasterboard a good surface to tile over?
2) Does it need to be treated first?
3) What adhesive would be best for my tile choice?
4) Mrs isnt convinced that we should tile to the ceiling as it is so tall (~10ft tall). I think we definately should. Whats your thoughts?

Pictures below:

bathroom2.jpg bathroom1.jpg

Hi and welcome,

1, plasterboard is and excellent surface to tile onto
2, treat the area where the shower will be with a tanking solution, usually sold in a kit.
3, I would be using single part flexible tile adhesive, it is sold in powder form, you do the mixing yourself, stay away from tubbed adhesive. for the floor use white adhesive.
4,to the ceiling would be fine, but it is down to personal choice.

mark.

T

TilingIdiot

Thanks for the responses so far.

So I installed the new plasterboard today - Bit of a pain in backside in that walls are rarely perfectly flat/level. What I couldn't understand is that I bought the same thickness of plasterboard that was previously on the wall yet it didn't marry up flush to the existing stuff so there's a couple of mills overhang as you can see in the picture. My dad can do a bit of plastering and says a skim of plaster over the new board should sort it

As for tanking solution - Any advice in which is best/cheapest? Does it just get painted on over the plasterboard? Is it left to set or can you tile on it straight away bathroom4.jpg bathroom3.jpg

Reply to Diary of an idiot tiler in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Tiling Rates Per Square Meter / Per Day – How much do tilers charge? I know this is a hard...
Replies
Views
J
    • Winner
moved to the london area in 1984 when my wife got a transfer to Guildford with her works. needed...
Replies
Views
C
hi there, i was not sure if i should put this in find a tiler section as i was more hoping the...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Diary of an idiot tiler
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.