UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Didn't use flexi additive over UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Fizzer

Hi All,
I'm a bit worried about my recently tiled kitchen/diner.
Having re-read the mixing instructions for the adhesive I've noticed that I should have used a flexi additive instead of water to mix it - I feel like a bit of an idiot, such a rookie mistake!

The floor goes like this:

old concrete subfloor (no cracking)
10mm wedi board (bonded to subfloor)
UFH mat (elec)
~6mm self levelling (wickes high performance - applied in two coats several days apart)
left to dry for a few days and tested ufh for 45 mins to check it works - it's been off since
a few days later I started laying tiles, took ages as its my first time and I have a full time job too!
I've left 5-10mm round the edge to allow for expansion
6mm notched float, adhesive on floor tiles on that. Tiles are approx 60x30cm and have a 3mm gap

Not grouted yet... (got some bal flexible wide joint grout)

Can someone put my mind at rest, am I going to be resticking these things down for ever and a day? Should I just carry on and grout?

I'm guessing it would be a good idea to leave the UFH off for a couple of weeks after grouting.

F

Fizzer

OK, I can see the funny side... :) you guys must get a lot of DIY'ers with sob stories in here - I'm sure I'm not the first...

I've been battling with my old house for long enough to know that most things can be fixed or lived with in the end.

I replied yesterday but I guess it didn't make it through the mods.

I used 3 bags of UniBond Rapid Set Ceramic Floor Tile Adhesive 518136 Grey 20kg/Up to 8m² from B&Q

I suppose the risk is that the bond may break and the tiles come loose?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Didn't use flexi additive over UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Didn't use flexi additive over UFH
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.