Discuss Different sized floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

Hi,
Was about to tile a 15mt2 consevatory floor on Friday doing a chequerboard effect,black and white tiles.300x 300,when me mate noticed all the black tiles were2-3mm smaller all around.
We layed a few tiles down dry to show the customer what it would look like,and explained that the grout lines would be out all around,and basically look crap,and said to change the tiles. They rang the shop and the assistant said to use a bigger grout line,but agreed it
would not look good,this I knew, he then said they can be up to 2mm smaller through the shrinking process,I said well some are 3m out,he said ah ah well thats European standards,they can be up to 4mm.Ha ha I thought.
Anyway they went to a different shop,an hour later they phoned and said they got some ,but are 1mm out.I said that should be ok. When they got back, we checked and again 2-3mm out.The women was at the end of her tether and said just lay them,dont worry.This we did,it looked ok(from next door)
What would you do in this instance?We never come across tiles that are out this much.
Cheers.
Vin.:mad2:

S

Spud

i havent come across this sort of problem for a long time as tiles are calibrated much better these days ,were the black tiles bigger or was it the white ones ? the reason why i am asking is if you colour match the grout with the smaller tile this can sometimes help, however with a 3mm difference i would have taken them back and chose a different tile from a different factory hope this helps

M

MICK the Tiler

I simply refuse to install, Politely of course, that way my reputation remains intact. Sometimes the smart thing to do is walk away when faced with problems that are out of your control, but if accepted then it becomes your problem and she is within her rights to complain (although not fair on the fixer) Yes she was warned and you have done everything right................ except you are the pro and you need to know what can and can't be done. It's not your job to try and make SH*T SHINE.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Different sized floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB