Discuss Different substrates in one job in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rj1884

Hello. Went to look at a job yesterday where the customer wants a downstairs utility room, entrance hall and living area tiled using porcelain tiles following the flooding of the whole area. The substrate in the utility room is currently green chipboard. The utility room runs into a large entrance hall area which is concrete screed which has been down for many years. The screed will be prepared and levelled appropriately by the customer. My question is relating to the expansion joint from the utility to the entrance hall. Would you guys remove the chipboard and replace with ply. I was thinking of overboarding the chipboard then tile straight to that and the screed with the porcelain tiles. If the screed is sound would you ditra the whole area or go straight to the screed. If no ditra is used would it be a case of putting in an expansion joint where the substrates meet or do you have to use ditra as well.
My plan is to get the screed brought up to the level of the utility room floor if possible.

Thanks in advance.

W

White Room

Hello. Went to look at a job yesterday where the customer wants a downstairs utility room, entrance hall and living area tiled using porcelain tiles following the flooding of the whole area. The substrate in the utility room is currently green chipboard. The utility room runs into a large entrance hall area which is concrete screed which has been down for many years. The screed will be prepared and levelled appropriately by the customer. My question is relating to the expansion joint from the utility to the entrance hall. Would you guys remove the chipboard and replace with ply. I was thinking of overboarding the chipboard then tile straight to that and the screed with the porcelain tiles. If the screed is sound would you ditra the whole area or go straight to the screed. If no ditra is used would it be a case of putting in an expansion joint where the substrates meet or do you have to use ditra as well.
My plan is to get the screed brought up to the level of the utility room floor if possible.

Thanks in advance.

That worries me....

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Different substrates in one job in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB