Discuss Dilemma in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I've been doing a job this week where the customers had a very strict budget for me to work to, when I went round to price it it was very obvious that even a re-skim of the walls wouldn't be good enough to sort the bathroom out, it really needed taking back to the brick and reboarding, but this would have added another £500 to the bill which they couldn't afford so I agreed to tile over the walls as they were (sorted out all the dips etc as normal) the room has turned out better than I expected, but it took a lot of packing out which I'm not happy doing (they were thin ceramics so no weight issues thankfully). They are really happy with it but I can see a few places that could have turned out better especially the cuts to the ceiling which vary from 160mm to 200mm. If I refused to do it without a reboard I would have lost the job, so, do you take on a job knowing it won't be 100% or walk away and lose a weeks work? Don't get me wrong, I've not cut any corners or used inferior products or fixing techniques, it's just that I'm only 95% happy with the outcome.

J

johnryan

the way i see it is if you hadn't have done it, they may have got someone else in who may have made a real dogs dinner out of it. i think part of the skill of tiling is being able to make the best job possible with what you have available, and if the client isn't prepared to lay out to get 100% then you find a balance to get as close to it as you can. if you've explained the situation to them, and they say go ahead, then it's your skill that has given them a better job than a lot of other people would have. in short, they were lucky to get you in to do the job, and some of the points you're not happy with wouldn't even be noticed by joe public in general. i for one wouldn't be turning work down atm, and if the client has had things explained properly i don't really see a problem with doing jobs like that. and when they come out above expectations, as they always do, that's even better.

S

Spud

bri I know the budget was tight but how much did the extra adhesive for the packing out cost and how much extra time was involved ? if you spent too much on this it may have been cheaper to take the time to skim the walls with addy before tiling ,i find that an hour's worth of chopping out bumps with a hatchet hammer and then filling out the hollows with a straight edge pays dividends as the tiles go up quicker and flatter than all the packing out and buttering up needed if you dont do this ,i wouldn't be too worried about the ceiling being so far out as long as the set out looked well and would just tell the tight wad customer that he should get the ceiling corrected when he has saved up a bit more money

R

Rob Z

Hi Bri, tough issue that we all face.

All of us want to do a perfect job. And a perfect job isn't possible, and even if it were possible, very few out there are ready to pay to get a perfect job (or at least to try for it).

So, taken to its logical extreme, if we all set our standards where we want them to be then likely most of us would be sitting around a lot of the time. You really have to do what you have to do to stay in business. I read on another internet forum some time ago a statement made by a tile setter, and it went like this:

"What's up with people? THey buy a $50,000 Cadillac and get a 3 year warrantly. They pay me $3000 to tile their shower and they want perfection and a job that will be done quickly and last a lifetime. I'm not giving them that for $3000".

You can apply your own figures and expamples to meet your situation, but I get the point made by that anonymous poster long ago.

It's all a big juggling act, trying to balance all aspects of the business, or at least for me it is. And that is what has taken a lot of the fun out of the trade for me.

Reply to Dilemma in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Dilemma
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.