Discuss DIY Bathroom renovation , looking for a check on my methods in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

destix

Hi , I've been lurking and reading the very helpful information on this site , helping with my bathroom renovation.
But I thought I would put my planned methods here to see if anyone wants to give an opinion on it.

Started a re-grout of my bathroom which is from the previous owners and was a mess with grout over the tiles etc, and bought a multitool to rake the grout out

That hasn't gone so well and has turned into a full strip out lol , as some of the tiles came off and I wasn't happy with how well the existing tiles were fixed (tubbed addy)

Anyway I've bought new 600x300 porcelain tiles for the walls , and 12mm hardiebacker to replace the plasterboard on the walls
One wall is the outer wall and is rendered/plastered , with a window in the middle
should I strip that back to the block and fix hardiebacker with adhesive and wall plugs/screws?

Also the floor is 18mm chipboard and is in good condition , I may however cut a trap below the radiator to alter the pipes for a new towel radiator , which I will probably repair with 18mm ply
should I then just fix 6mm hardi over the top and tile?
I haven't decided on tiles for the floor , but possibly a galaxy granite or quartz

Would also appreciate recommendations on adhesive to use , bearing in mind I have no trade account , although I may try to spoof a topps account as I'm an electrician

Thanks for any help
Mark

M

mache

Hi, just an observation regarding hardie against the outside wall. You should think about insulation in my opinion. I did something similar. I stripped back to block and then battened the wall. This allowed me to fit celotex insulation between the battens then I hardie backered on to those battens. You may consider the same or use something like marmox insulated cement boards. I went the batten route because I had some pipe runs to sit behind the tiles.

M

mache

Thanks for the reply , any reason for the insulation board behind the hardie ?
Also should I batten out my wall too?
I wont have any pipe runs to go behind it.
Could I fix the hardie to the wall without removing the skim?
Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark, I should have clarified. Mine was a DIY job in my own property and this is not my progression. I chose to insulate because I have three outside walls(extension on back of house). The insulation was to help prevent heat loss during winter. If your outside wall is poorly insulated and gets cold in winter then the tiles are going to act ask a heat sink and be as cold if direct fitted. I wanted to avoid this to prevent excess condensation forming on then after showering. I am happy how it has worked for me, it might be something for you to consider. The reason I stripped back to block was the original plastering had been allover the place regarding levels. Took me half a day with an SDS to strip it off so not a big problem for me.
Regards
Martin

D

destix

I was thinking about using 25mm batons and 25mm kingspan , I hadn't thought about using treated batons
I've now stripped the wall back to the block.
I assume you mean to use an adhesive bed behind the hardie for the floor?
not on the walls when its screwed to studs/batons ?

Also since I have to cut a trap in the chipboard floor, clean the old adhesive off and screw down for deflection , that I may as well take I all out and replace with plywood
standard ply overboarded with 6mm hardie?
18mm or 22mm ply?
Thanks everyone , I'd hate to not get it right lol

D

destix

I've now completed the walls, taking my sweet time, a day here and there when I've got time.

About to start my floor, which I've replaced all the chipboard, put in noggins and laid 18mm wbp, I primed the underside and sides to seal.

I was stuck with 18mm as that was the size of the chipboard and it ran under 2 stud walls, had to run the new ply under the walls to keep proper support.

I will be tiling with wood effect porcelain tiles 90cm x 15cm
How should I further prep my floor?
Should I overlay with 6mm hardiebacker or should I lay something like ditra mat, or both?
Thanks

S

SJPurdy

Standard flexi is what I use but you can even use a non flexi. The adhesive is there just to fill voids, it's the screws that provide the mechanical anchor.
Macten's answer is for the adhesive underneath the Hardie boards.
To stick the porcelain tiles down on top of the Hardie board then use a flexi adhesive.
The overboarded floor must be rigid and free from deflection before tiling.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to DIY Bathroom renovation , looking for a check on my methods in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

V
Evening guys recently got my own place, and really want to sort out the kitchen. I thought my...
Replies
Views
Veitchy
V
S
Hi, DIYer for many years, about to embark on my 3rd big tiling project bathroom, floor with...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB