UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss DIY man needs some help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

OK guys
Cat amongst the birdies now..... I have been advised by my next Door neighbour to fix wall tiles with "Silicon" he says it is brilliant and really quick, which I know it would be. Comments??
John

:mad2::mad2::mad2:

BTW he claims all the best tilers are using this as the waterproofing is all in the grout.
J

:incazzato:

G

Gazzer

OK guys
Cat amongst the birdies now..... I have been advised by my next Door neighbour to fix wall tiles with "Silicon" he says it is brilliant and really quick, which I know it would be. Comments??
John

BTW he claims all the best tilers are using this as the waterproofing is all in the grout.
J

:yikes: Just checked the diary and its not April 1st :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

H

Honest Jon

Hi guys I almost wished I never asked, here is today’s conversation:

J: is me
TT: is Topps Tiles

J: thanks that sounds great, but I also need some Hardi,
TT: You do not need any, just use ply, B&Q sell it, just up the road mate. ( and I am thought these guys are on comm ??)
J: But I thought hardi was better than ply.
TT: Na,, not really ply works as good if not better.
J: But Ply needs primed and seems like extra work.
TT: Primed? Why?
J: water ingress.
TT: ha ha you grout the tile to stop the water mate!!
J: But I have been online and the consensus is Hardi,, whats wrong are you out of stock??
TT: No we have plenty, if you want some,,, no problem.
J: OK Give me 3 sheets
TT: OK pal.
J: do I have enough adhesive for the Floor Tiles and the Hardi?
TT: Sorry, what do you mean?
J: For the Hardi also.
TT: No Mate you do not use adhesive with the Hardi you just screw it down.
J: I was told it needs a 6mm bed of adhesive!
TT: Why?
J: To secure it, I was told it needed adhesive and screws!!
TT: No,, all you need is screws mate, do you want us to add them to the invoice?
J: No mate I have screws but I thought Hardi had to be bedded and screwed? Why just screw it down? I could do that with ply!
TT: I told you that already mate, just go to B&Q and get a sheet of ply!!

Comments?
John

S

smurf21

Again take the advice on the forums.....Tops Tiles Strike Again...:mad2:

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Attach HARDIBACKER ® sheets to subfloor[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • Apply a minimum of 3/32" thick dry-set mortar or modified thinset to subfloor.
  • Embed HARDIBACKER ® sheets firmly and evenly in the wet mortar. Leave 1/8" gap between sheet edges.
  • Using the printed dots as a guide, fasten HARDIBACKER ® sheets with proper nails or screws (as listed in "Materials Required") every 8" over the entire surface. Keep the fasteners between 3/8" and 3/4" from sheet edges and 2" in from sheet corners.
  • Set fastener heads flush with the surface without overdriving.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

:oops:.....you have the hardi 250 pdf i linked to john....print a copy off and take it in..have great joy in watching him read it and say I TOLD YOU SO..:lol:...

How can a retailer sell a product they do not know how to fix or even recommend the application of it..

This takes me back to a thread where we discussed staff training.....when will retailers take notice and train there staff on a regular basis...

F

faithhealer

OK guys
John

Advising a customer once on what she could do with her kitchen floor whilst her neighbour kept putting his oar in, basically rubbishing my comments, in the end I advised her to get her neighbour to do it!! (She knew where I was coming from and told me to expect a call from her)

M

Matt

Hi guys I almost wished I never asked, here is today’s conversation:

J: is me
TT: is Topps Tiles

J: thanks that sounds great, but I also need some Hardi,
TT: You do not need any, just use ply, B&Q sell it, just up the road mate. ( and I am thought these guys are on comm ??)
J: But I thought hardi was better than ply.
TT: Na,, not really ply works as good if not better.
J: But Ply needs primed and seems like extra work.
TT: Primed? Why?
J: water ingress.
TT: ha ha you grout the tile to stop the water mate!!
J: But I have been online and the consensus is Hardi,, whats wrong are you out of stock??
TT: No we have plenty, if you want some,,, no problem.
J: OK Give me 3 sheets
TT: OK pal.
J: do I have enough adhesive for the Floor Tiles and the Hardi?
TT: Sorry, what do you mean?
J: For the Hardi also.
TT: No Mate you do not use adhesive with the Hardi you just screw it down.
J: I was told it needs a 6mm bed of adhesive!
TT: Why?
J: To secure it, I was told it needed adhesive and screws!!
TT: No,, all you need is screws mate, do you want us to add them to the invoice?
J: No mate I have screws but I thought Hardi had to be bedded and screwed? Why just screw it down? I could do that with ply!
TT: I told you that already mate, just go to B&Q and get a sheet of ply!!

Comments?
John
Wow, just wow. Granted, I don't know everything about tiling and likely never will. But I will never give advice unless I am 100% sure it is correct and if I don't know, I find out.

B

bassman

Hi HJ. Iv read this thread from the start but not had any additional advice. Everyone has their own opinion on how things should be done. You COULD use ply You COULD go onto the existing sub strait you COULD use silicon onto carpet and grout with toothpaste, or you could take the advice of the guys on here, who are passing on their expertise and experience for no personal gain other than the pride they have in their trade and desire to assist those of us who are unsure of the BEST way to proceed. Best of luck with your project.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to DIY man needs some help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.