Discuss Do customers need to take the blame when they've employed a tiler and it goes wrong? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Chobham
Im with john the price quoted is the price for the job being under taken. All my quotes detail what is to be under taken and supplied. Recently had a customer question the price for the repair of his failed shower when he was compareing against a texted price. After a chat with the customer he could see that if he allowed the other chap to remove the failed tiles and allow the plaster board to dry out.??? before replacing the tiles it was bound to fail again

Kent
When buying a car most people check that it has a recorded service history.
When buying a house you buy what you see; you may get a certificate that woodwork has been treated, that windows have been fitted by a Fensa member, boiler, insulation, damproof, etc etc; but for tiling!
I think generally every building should have a log book/record file that contains details of all work done and the tiler will have to specify what materials have been used and confirm that they have been used correctly to sign off their work.
Totally agree. Most people would not buy an expensive second hand car without a service history, and some kind of backup warrenty, this should be applied to one of the most expensive things we will ever purchase. Our homes.

L

lawrenso

I think that Dan is aware of my thoughts on this.

If a tiler goes to quote on a job and accepts the job, then he is saying that he is up to the job and is able to complete it to a professional standard. If he doesn't then it is on his head.

As for the TTA, I would say that it isn't worth the money. From our experience, they are only interested in the annual payment, as when we showed them the quality of work that had been done by one of their members they weren't interested.

Please see my thread which can be found in the Tilers Arms, and I hope that the guy who done this work hasn't ever joined this Forum as he could only ever bring bad with him.

Dan was an absolute star but because of certain unsavoury things happening which we couldn't prove, my wife did not want me to continue the action we were going to take - although I nearly ended up in a fight with the guy a while ago. It still sits bad with me

Oh I - hello again everybody who remembers me

O

One Day

I'd ditto the above post's comments.
Personally now, I won't take on new (fresh) work - by that I mean customers who haven't come to me via a personal recommendation of who I've worked for before. Too much risk and hassle with new customers.

If I take a job on, it's to my spec and to be done my way - 100%.
If a customer starts off insisting or even suggesting it should be done any other way, then it's goodnight from me.

Sure, others will say that attitude is no good if you are short of work and competing against idiots.
Well I've been pig-headed and obstinate since I started out and it's worked for me. As I said - I don't take on new (fresh) customers any more.

L

lawrenso

Hi Impish,

I couldn't interfere as I was half a continent away when he done the work!! However it is surprising that he is still working in the trade. I am self employed - I have to compete against others for my work - and if I can't do something they are asking for I let them know. No point me wasting their time and getting disgruntled and sacking me and affecting my name. However, if I am working for a client and they ask me to do something beyond my current knowledge, I will inform them of this - and that it will be on best endeavours - however if my work is wrong it won't endanger others lives which is what happened to us, and usually there is a team of testers that will try and break what I have done.

Cheers

Steve

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Do customers need to take the blame when they've employed a tiler and it goes wrong? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
I think this is okay to do. I can't see this upsetting a relationship you have. But by all means...
Replies
Views
Bathroom Fitter/Tiler needed Southport area Looks like an alright job perhaps? Who do we have...
Replies
Views
Unbelievable Has anyone come across super fast drying plaster?:mad: I arrived to tile a...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
tilersforums.com is 10 years old on April 2nd 2016. Here's the first thread on the forum from...
Replies
Views
The D
T

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB