Guest viewing is limited

Recommended Tile Suppliers

We recommend a couple of tile suppliers, Topps Tiles and Tile Giant.

They supply good adhesive brands and provide trade discounts for genuine tilers.

Discuss Do I need to seal topps tiles premium stone laquered travertine? in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com.

A

andybaines

Hi to all,
Have a few questions about using impregnator tile sealers on travertine, I have been helping my dad fit the premium stone range of travertine tiles from topps tiles, they have resin filled holes rather than grout and are then coated with 3 coats of lacquer so they are shiny and polished looking.
I asked the guy at the shop at the time and he said no need to seal them but when I had to call the importer to check something else they said yes you do need to seal them?
I did a test leaving a tile level with water pooled on it in various places to see what would happen, it stayed on top of the lacquer for a few hours but when I checked later it had all got through and soaked the underside of the tile, I realise most tiles wouldn’t get so heavily soaked but in the shower area they will surely? - what happens if i don’t seal them further and if this soaking of the tiles is allowed to happen regularly over time – i.e. in the shower?
So I started looking into sealers – the impregnator ones seem to last a long time rather than need topping up and Fila do one for polished stone which I guess this is with the lacquer?, my question is what does it look like once it’s applied and will it look a mess applied over the lacquer like thick varnish? As I think I need to protect the tiles further but don’t want to mess them up?
Unless i do just the shower area and the floor..?
Many thanks in advance
Andy

D

doug boardley

Thanks for all the info all,

called the manufacturer and they said it does have a laquer coating but they recommend sealing aswell with an impregnator to go into any tiny holes etc... they said fila is ok which is what im looking at using..

at topps tiles they sell the fila sealant called Polished Travertine & Marble Impregnator Sealer 500ML by FILA, impregnator i think?

whats the difference between this and the MP90 range? as this is cheaper £50 for 1litre and i like the sound of it, doesnt cloud etc....

do you need to wear a mask for the fumes or something when you apply it ?? :yikes: - thankyou
I'd use LTP mattstone at a fraction of the price.
only if you're really ugly :lol::lol:

Reply to Do I need to seal topps tiles premium stone laquered travertine? in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Finding it a little hard to get my head around something and hoping one of you might be...
Replies
Views

Tile Buying Popular Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Do I need to seal topps tiles premium stone laquered travertine?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes
Start date
Last reply date
Replies
Unsolved
--

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond