Discuss Do I or don't I in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

john raymond

Hi Guys,
Tiled my kitchen a few years ago with Travertine. It was a new build, concrete floor which I then covered with 10mm Dukka Board then electric UFH.
The Travertine is not wearing to well and we are thinking of tiling all over again. Question, If I just layed new tiles over the old Travertine, would the UFH struggle to come through the tiles
or should I disconnect the UFH, lay new insulation board over the travertine, then new UFH mat, re-connect to existing thermostat and tile. Height is not a problem if I do the later.
It would save a lot of mess and time if I did not have to rip everything up and start again.:mad2:

Your thoughts please,

John (Hampshire)

J

john raymond

Guys,
The Travertine keeps having holes appear everynow and then. When I layed them I did put ady on the backs of the tiles as well as on the floor. Its been about 4 years since I layed them, the sandstone grout does look dirty especially now we have a dog in residence. We are thinking of having a new kitchen fitted so would like to have a new look about it. When the new build was done the old units were used to get us by, so now, new kitchen new floor, which takes me back to my original question.

John

area tiling

TF
Arms
n.ireland
So what your saying is that its an apperance problem! It can be fixed but its very tricky process and I'd recommend a professional to do it! You can fill the holes with a two part resin, ( filler and hardner) problem with this is the old factory resins will react with the one's that are already their, if not corrected before applying! Plus you have the porosity problems with travertine , the chemical reaction with the filler and hardner needs to be correct , as it takes a few hours for this reaction to completly cure, drawing in moisture to the tile resulting in the filler popping out again! all your sealers and polishers that the tiles were sealed with would need to be stripped back ! It's alot of work so IMO rip out or bring in the pro's! Good luck hope this helps

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Do I or don't I in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB