• Thread starter The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
  • Start date
  • Replies 34
  • Views 551
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss Do you ever wished you had walked away. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

The job I started last wed. is one I now wish I had given a body swerve, I was asked by a builder for a price per m2 I explained it is near impossible to give a price over the phone, given the diversity of tile types today. He pressed me for a m2 price, telling me they were 600x300 polished porcelain, (rectified edge).
He booked me for a start on Wed, being pushed for a m2 price over the phone. I told him about £25 per m2, you can guess what is coming.
When I turned up to start, my worst fears were realised. This guy had gutted the bathroom, (a blank canvas) should be good yes? No. I could get my fingers behind a 2m level, in many places. I have had to rip off most of his dot & dab efforts.
I am now struggling to make a silk purse from a sow's ear, the bed I am having to use, exceeds Mapei recommendations.
I hope the builder comes to the party when the final bill is submitted. I doubt it
:mad2:Sorry for the rant, we all need to now and then
Who would be a tiler?:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

It's a funny old game, we all know what to look for, we all know how to price our jobs, we all know how to do our jobs and yet, every now and again we get caught out!!!! It's one of the most annoying things about the job, if you let your guard down, you get a smack in the chops! and there's always someone willing to throw the punches!!!

Very true Bri, but we still keep going eh!:lol::thumbsup:

H

hillhead

Pain in the rear that Phil, all too common now i'm afraid.
I agreed a bathroom with a premier marble supply company over here for a monday 2 weeks ago start.
I thought lovely, great money for 3 -4 days work.
Its a 50 mile drive each way, i arrive at 8am... no keys for entry.
Tiles arrive at 10am, showroom manager is with me running through everything.
I finally get in at 1am !!
Ditra the floor, seal joints, tank tape 2" up walls and tank shower area etc.
So that was monday, 48m2 in this room.
Tuesday i start walls, i kid you's not on the thursday evening the plumber arrives to fit bath and shower tray.
The tray- 5 feet by 4 feet 30mm thick travertine !! the plumber near fainted.
I spent 2 hours helping him get this fitted into a 5' x 4' opening without breaking it.
Between bath having to come out again, feature ideas changing its a torture.
Big travertine vanity units fitted to walls by me etc.
Iv spent 7 days there, luckily i had another trav floor to do in between, lol.
1/2 a day left down there because of silly factory faults with skirtings so my bill is rising beyond the agreed limit too.
The factory is off all this week now too.
You're not alone Phil.

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
I know how you all feel, the last two weeks I've had hellish jobs, the first started with a bathroom (31.5x45 tiles) where the builder had aquapanelled over a shower control not realising that there were nuts protruding and caused the aquapanel to bow out by approx 10mm over 1 board, so phoned him, oh he says I'm a long way from you at them moment, it will only take you 2 mins to get it off won't it? err no, but I couldn't afford to wait for him for half a day to get over to me, so ended up removing door architrave, silicon from board joints, all the screws, and the board was jammed against the next one, so eventually removed it and plunge cut through to clear the nuts, then the stud work was bent, so chiselled it all down to get the board to fit flush, 2 mins became 3 hours work! Then customer not ordered enough tiles! Then this week - kitchen floor is supposed to be prepped ready, I get there yesterday, and a ridge in the floor with 10mm either side of a 2mm level in the good area, epoxy dpm on floor so can't get levels drilled in floor to slc it. Thick bedding here we come! Tiles are 600x300 black rectified porcelain gloss finish tiles only 15m2 area and I've only done 12m2 to end of today!:mad2: :mad2:. Hope that makes you feel better Phil.:smilewinkgrin:

O

ozboz

A plumber mate of mine asked me to price a job recently, another tiler had been along and refused to do it as it was , my mate thought I would be able to sort it, of course I could, but at a price, one the house owners boyfriend baulked at !! , my mate had had some jockey's in to do the prep, proper mess. Anyway, I was told the owner was in search of better prices, I am positive they will get them, what the job turns out like ? anyones guess ! , but some times, as we all know, we take on board a right royal nightmare, anyway patience being a virtue, we must be the most virtuous trade in the building industry . Good Luck Phil ............. Steve

Reply to Do you ever wished you had walked away. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
R
I have a customer who is contemplating asking me to tile around their bathroom facilities. At...
Replies
Views
R
well client came in a develper and film star telling me how well his builder was doing every...
Replies
Views
Perfect Tiling
P
T
DIY SOS. Helping people without time or money, in need desperate need to get a project...
Replies
Views
Went and looked at a job a couple of weeks ago kitchen floor ,bathroom half tiled walls and...
Replies
Views
Rossymcg
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Do you ever wished you had walked away.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.