Discuss Do you think I was right in asking for a deposit. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Went and looked at a job a couple of weeks ago kitchen floor ,bathroom half tiled walls and floor and an en-suite shower.He cancelled, the excuse was a lack of funds ,then the job was back on,went to look at the tiles he had for the job to give a price ,the customer was not there and I noticed the kitchen(very badly) and en-suite floor was tiled so gave him a price by text.I started to think it looks a bit dodgy so I text him again and ask for a deposit now I very rarely ask but this job did not feel right.The outcome was a few nasty text's and a phone call with him shouting down the phone,saying that this is unprofessional.I tried to reason with him but he was having none of it and he also said he will ruin me in the tiling trade,this got my back up and I know I should not have done but I gave him a mouthful back.Its just that I had a gut feeling about this one ,do you think it was right to ask for the deposit or should I have gone ahead and supplied the ad,grout and trim and done the job?,I have now found out that he might have used my discount in Tile giant to get the adhesive and grout for the two floors that were done without my knowledge.

I think he got the hump because I ask for the deposit after I priced the job I was all set to start today,so decided to ask him this morning I told him that I would get the materials but would need the deposit when I arrived he told me he was to busy working up and down the country,he has been hard to track him to talk to, so I thought this might get a lot harder after I completed the job.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
You are perfectly entitled to ask for a deposit regardless of whether or not he sounds like a total toss pot which in this case he does. You are better off out of it. And don't worry about him "ruining you" in the tiling trade. You will thrive on recommendations following good quality work nt from Wallis like him trying to out one over on you.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
If you are supplying materials you MUST get a deposit. There is nothing wrong in that, it shows commitment from the customer and potentially stops them backing out of the work to be done.

If I have a job particularly when I'm supplying tiles I get them to forward a cheque/bank transfer and make sure it is cleared before I even order tiles. That way I will never be out of pocket. Materials such as addy etc can always be used. 20-30m of tiles sat in your garage are not something you can sell easily, obviously they are not to everybodys taste. If they back out before the job is done, unlikely, because I don't get them delivered until maybe a day into the job when I'm ripping out. They're not going to lose maybe £6-700 of tiles at that point.

With a customer like that I would have taken the other floors being done as a slight insult, people like that get no discount off materials and get a fat quote... If they are stupid enough to take the quote then I'll do the job with a smile :D

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I had the same happen to me on a 50m2 floor just before Christmas, priced the job , had it all booked in, then he rang me wanting me to get the tiles for him with my discount, told him I wanted a deposit, he said he would drop it round on the Friday, as I was starting the job on monday nothing appeared so that was it, cancel the job, can't be doing chasing people for money, and like you something didn't add up with him, I found out later he was down the tile suppliers trying to use my trade discount, he had a right go at me on the phone too, as he had to get the floor done to get the kitchen fitted, this was all 2 weeks before Christmas..lol all water off a ducks back to me, I wouldn't let it worry you....just forget about him and move on to the next job...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Do you think I was right in asking for a deposit. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I have redone the tiles (porcelain ones) in the kitchen. The grout used, BAL...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB